Time Market an oldie but goodie

If a store’s longevity is a factor when it comes to success, then Time Market has proven itself a winner, calling Tucson home since 1919.

Time Market is a quaint place to shop for high-quality organic food, imported beer, rare wine selections and ready to order woodfired pizza and fresh deli sandwiches just blocks from University Blvd.’s Main Gate Square.

“”I guess you could say we attract ‘foodies’,”” explained Peter Wilke, owner of Time Market since 1995. “”People who love food will enjoy our variety of high quality foods.””

According to Wilke, anything that a shopper finds on the shelves has a personal meaning to him; it represents a special product that Wilke himself handpicked for a reason.

“”Over there is a $7 bag of dried macadamia nuts,”” said Wilke as he pointed to a neatly organized shelf. “”It may seem pricey but they are absolutely fabulous, some of the best I have ever tasted.””

At Time Market, quality is something you can taste, according to chemical engineering senior Jennifer Tobin, who has a weakness for the deli’s fresh hummus plate, $5.29 that is piled with dolmades and tabouli served with Arabic bread and grape leaves.

“”The food here is great, especially the hummus,”” said Tobin. “”It’s addicting!””

Tobin is a frequent customer at Time Market, stepping through their doors at least once a day to grab food or just wander through isles feeding her curiosity.

If you are an on-the-go student or a business person on a tight schedule, then Time Market has a deli that can whip up a sandwich or cook a pizza in minutes. The wood-fired pizza has over 32 toppings to choose from and the smoke can be smelled from a block away.

“”I usually come in for a quick bite from the deli,”” said frequent customer Jeanette Long. “”I like their choice of natural products and variety of beer. You can’t find their stuff in a regular grocery store.””

The market’s deli is unique because the sandwich combinations are impressive and creative. Where else can you find sandwich featuring everything from meatballs to liverwurst to corned beef. The “”Green Gringo”” is a hot sandwich that is perhaps the most interesting because it calls for shredded chicken breast, green corn tamale, cheddar cheese, salsa and green olives all stacked heartily on sourdough bread, for $5.99.

Wilke takes pride in making a shift towards organic food, something he decided to do because of a personal belief, not because of customer requests.

In addition to owning Time Market, Wilke and his brother share ownership of Bee-Line Bar on 4th Ave and Wilke isn’t stopping there; he has invested in another University Blvd. property, Tucson’s Main Gate Square. Wilke plans to open up a higher end convenience store on the corner of Park Ave and University Blvd.

“”I haven’t come up with a name yet,”” Wilke said. “”But this won’t be your typical 7-11, it will be 3,500 space with high quality products, including grab and go food, school and personal supplies.””

As for the future, Wilke doesn’t plan on opening up another Time Market. He believes that restaurants that go the chain route have a great potential to lose their “”soul.””

University Blvd. is home to dozens of restaurants, and there is no doubt that Time Market has been there the longest. The market attracts a solid group of repeat customers whom Wilke describes as eclectic and friendly

The market’s esoteric ambiance and the variety of unique food are two of the many reasons Wilke says people come to Time Market.

Time Market is at 444. E. University Blvd. It is open 7a.m. – 10 p.m. every day. For more information check out their website at www.timemarket.net