Fast Facts

• In the 1700s, a newborn baby had less of chance of surviving a week than a 90-year-old.
  • Gary Cooper once said “”Gone With the Wind”” would be “”the biggest flop in Hollywood’s history.”” So, he turned down the leading role of Rhett Butler.
  • All of Roger Moore’s film contracts state he must be provided with an unlimited supply of hand-rolled Cuban cigars.
  • The birthstone for October, opal, can contain up to 10 percent of water, making it easy to damage.
  • A healthy person will pass gas five times a day. A fart contains about 17 ounces of intestinal gas.
  • Independence Day was not a federal holiday until 1941.
  • Chuck Berry’s song “”You Can’t Catch Me”” contained the original line of the opening lyrics of The Beatles’ song “”Come Together.””
  • If a hockey player is wearing “”1″” on his jersey, it is a safe bet he is a goalie. Only a handful of players wearing “”1″” are not goalies.
  • Neither Mercury nor Venus have moons, making them the only planets in the solar system without one.
  • “”Saturday Night Live”” was created to resolve Johnny Carson’s request to stop airing “”The Best of Carson”” on the weekend.
  • Tony Curtis owned the “”look”” Elvis wanted to have, so Elvis dyed his naturally light brown hair to black.
  • Ever heard “”pleased as punch””? This phrase originated in the Punch and Judy puppet acts in which Punch ended up victorious and smiling.
  • The perfect pickle will have an average of seven “”warts”” per square inch.
  • There are 14 vertebrae in an owl’s neck, twice as many as in a human’s.
  • President Grant is most famously known as Ulysses S. Grant but he was born Hiram Ulysses Grant. H.U.G.