Hot ‘n’ not Nov. 5

Savannah+Douglas+%2F++The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AUA+Forward+Kaitlyn+Lopez+dribbles+the+ball+against+Colorado+at+home+on+Sunday.++
Savannah Douglas
Savannah Douglas / The Daily Wildcat UA Forward Kaitlyn Lopez dribbles the ball against Colorado at home on Sunday.

Hot

The Arizona women’s cross country team won its first Pac-12 conference championship on Saturday. They won the meet with a total of 69 points.

Senior cross country runner Elvin Kibet was named the Pac-12 2013 Scholar Athlete of the Year. Kibet finished second place overall in the women’s race during the championship.

After defeating California on Saturday, Arizona football is bowl eligible for the second season in a row. The Wildcats didn’t go to a single bowl game from 1999 to 2007.

Arizona’s women’s basketball beat Fort Lewis 80-65 during an exhibition for the women’s season debut on Saturday at McKale Center with only seven players.

Arizona soccer has surpassed its overall and Pac-12 conference win total from last season. The team has one game left on their schedule.

Arizona basketball freshman forward Aaron Gordon is part of the 10-man preseason watch list for the Integris Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award. He is one of the three forwards who are included on the list.

Not

The Arizona men’s tennis duo was eliminated at the Larry Easley Memorial Classic hosted by UNLV this past weekend. The Wildcats were eliminated in the singles consolation quarterfinals and the doubles quarterfinals as well.

Colorado State swept the Arizona hockey team in a two-game series during the weekend. The Wildcats lost three players due to injuries. Seniors Ansel Ivens-Anderson and Steven Sisler and junior Michael Ferreira will be out for a couple of weeks.

New rules have been set for this year’s basketball season. Hand-checking will be one of the rules that will be enforced by the NCAA this season due to “rough play”.

Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak is in the hospital after collapsing on the field during Sunday’s game. The Texans lost 27-24 to the Indianapolis Colts.

The Oakland Raiders didn’t look hot on Sunday when they were swept by the Philadelphia Eagles 49-20 at the O.co Coliseum.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal