Senior Schupan looking to go out on top

As senior Icecat captain, Jordan Schupan’s career is coming to a close with six more games left to bear the Arizona uniform.

Schupan and the Icecats will travel to Utah to play against the Weber State Wildcats this weekend, head up to Colorado to battle the Colorado State Rams next weekend and ultimately end his career against bitter rival and No. 8 ranked ASU the weekend of Feb. 26.

“”Hopefully we can win these last six games,”” Schupan said. “”You want to go out on a positive note.””

The Icecats (10-12-1) “”struggled with consistency”” this season, according to Schupan, including a continuing 14-game losing streak to ASU dating back to last season.

“”My first two years we had a nice winning streak against them, and the last two years it has kind of flipped,”” Schupan said. “”It would really mean a lot to end my career with wins over them.””

Playing against ASU has meant a lot to Schupan over the years, including one game in particular during his sophomore season in  a third period comeback victory over the Sun Devils.

“”We were able to score a couple late goals to beat them,”” Schupan said. “”Being in the locker room after those games is an amazing feeling.””

Schupan, who has scored 69 goals in 97 games so far in his career, said playing with the Icecats has been a “”tremendous experience.””

“”The friends that I’ve made, and those games against ASU, sold out 6,000 seat arena,”” he added. “”It has been an awesome experience.””

Schupan, who has tallied up a career high 43 points this season, will get two more opportunities to play in front of the home Icecat crowd, and those are the two games he is “”looking forward to the most,”” citing the locker room celebration after a possible upset victory as motivation.

While hockey is a large part of his life, Schupan is staying focused on finishing out the season strong before thinking about a future in hockey.

Quick facts about Jordan Schupan

Hometown: Kalamazoo, Mich.

Favorite NHL team: Detroit Red Wings

Most goals in a season: 22 (2008-09)

Career assists: 72

Career power play goals: 24

Career short handed goals: 7

Career goals: 69

Total career points: 141

Career games: 97

((Editor’s note: Stats:http://achahockey.org/player_profile.php?player_id=127157&team_id=12903))