Drag queen reigns over bingo

Ginny Polin / Arizona Daily Wildcat

bingo drag queens
Ginny Polin
Ginny Polin / Arizona Daily Wildcat bingo drag queens

Students of all sexual orientations came out to play Drag Bingo, one of the many events ASUA Pride Alliance puts on during Coming Out Week, on Wednesday.

Ajia Simone, also called Tucson’s Black Cat, is a well-known drag queen in the community. She emceed the event and provided fun and laughter for those who attended.

“”O-69,”” Simone said.  “”Now say it with me … Ya’ll act like you don’t know what that is. Looks like I’m going to have to help you with that later.””

Simone continued to read aloud bingo letters while making jests at those walking by and those who were playing.

Simone has volunteered for other events at the UA such as Diva la Paz, where she performed and held a miniature question and answer session for the audience.

Coming Out Week began on Friday and ends Oct. 20. For some students, this was the first event they attended but others have attended every event.

“”I have gone to all the events this week, and I make new friends every day,”” said Michael Webb, a junior and the first bingo winner. “”I make at least one friend a day during Coming Out Week.””

Webb is also the president of the UA chapter of a gay, bi and progressive fraternity called Delta Lambda Phi. Pride Alliance and Delta Lambda Phi support each other,

he said.

According to Ethan Rogers, the Pride Alliance intern and a senior, Drag Bingo has been a part of Coming Out Week for three years.

“”Drag Bingo was a great way to lighten the mood,”” he said. “”Some of the events during Coming Out Week are educational and more serious. This was just more fun.””

The bingo players did not walk away empty-handed.

“”We gave away Starbucks gift cards, gift cards to the bookstore, tickets to Gallagher Theater, recyclable mugs and T-shirts,”” Webb said.

Lauren Draper, a family and human development sophomore, joined Pride Alliance this year.

“”I’m definitely here to meet people in the community,”” she said. “”I learned about Drag Bingo through some friends in the gay community and I decided to join in on the fun.””

Draper wants to continue to meet people in the community this week and plans to attend Live Homosexual Acts, a demonstration that will take place on the Mall this Friday.

“”I was ecstatic to do this,”” Simone said. “”It was really nice to have the event outside so that people could see what’s going on. I’m glad they didn’t have it in a room where it would have been hidden. This way, people were able to see what the event was, ask questions and join in.””