Arizona baseball team takes series from Arizona State

Nathanial Stenchever

Noah Turley a first baseman on the Arizona baseball team tries to tag out a base runner on April 22 at Hi Corbett field. The Wildcats would win in extra innings 7-6.

The Arizona baseball team took two of three games this weekend against Arizona State this weekend in front of huge crowds at Hi Corbett Field. Here is a look at how each game went down.

Friday: Arizona wins 7-6 (10 innings):

The Wildcats took an early 4-0 lead through three innings of play off RBI singles from Tanner O’Tremba and Garen Caulfield. 

The Sun Devils got to starter TJ Nichols for one run in the fourth inning and two runs in the fifth inning.

Nichols went 4.2 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits to go along with three strikeouts and four walks.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, ASU first baseman Conor Davis and Mac Bingham got into a bit of a heated moment as they nearly collided into each other as first base.

The next half inning with boos reigning down on him, Davis launched a two-run home run to give ASU a 5-4 lead.

The Sun Devils added on one more run in the eighth inning to take a 6-4 lead.

The Wildcats rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning off an RBI triple by Bingham and single by Tommy Splaine. 

This game headed to extra innings where Chase Davis sent Wildcat fans home happy, launching a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to lead Arizona to a win to open the series.

Saturday: Arizona State wins 8-5

The Sun Devils struck first on Saturday against Arizona starter Chandler Murphy, taking a 6-0 lead after four innings of play.

Murphy was hit hard early, allowing four runs on six hits across three innings of work to go along with one strikeout and two walks.

The Wildcats plated three runs in the fifth inning to try and get back into the game, cutting the deficit to 6-3.

Arizona State would go on to plate two more runs in the seventh inning, tying the series up.

Tanner O’Tremba was one of the lone bright spots for Arizona in this loss, collecting four hits while launching a home run and scoring two runs.

RELATED: Key stats from Arizona baseball loss Saturday against Arizona State 

Sunday: Arizona wins 14-4

Garrett Irvin took the mound in the rubber match of the series.

After struggling on Friday and Saturday, Daniel Susac struck first for Arizona with a two-run home run in the opening inning.

The Wildcats took a commanding 6-0 lead after Tanner O’Tremba, Mac Bingham and Tony Bullard each collected RBI singles in the fourth inning.

Irvin cruised through the first frames, allowing just two hits. He got into some trouble in the sixth inning, eventually allowing a three-run home run.

Still, Irvin notched a quality start for Arizona as he allowed three runs on six hits over six innings to go along with two strikeouts and one walk.

The Wildcats blew the game open on the Arizona State bullpen, plating seven runs in the seventh inning.

O’Tremba, Susac and Bingham combined to collect seven hits while driving in nine runs. 

Up next for Arizona is a road game against New Mexico State on Tuesday with first pitch scheduled for 5:00 p.m. MST.

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter