ASUA Student Legal Services begins hiring process to reopen their office

Caitlin Claypool

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona logo painted across the wall at the ASUA office in the Student Union Memorial Center.

After being closed for over a year, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s Student Legal Services has restarted their hiring process.

In the past, ASUA Student Legal Services offered free basic legal advice to UA students. Though they did not represent students in court, Student Legal Services provided counsel on a variety of subjects. Some of the most common areas included landlord-tenant issues, understanding contracts, minor possession or minor criminal issues, according to Associate Dean of Students Sylvester Gaskin.

A few months before the pandemic, the service was halted due to a worker vacancy, Gaskin said. As a “one-person operation,” the office was closed down while searching for a replacement. Then, in March 2020, this search came to a pause as the university moved to limited operations due to COVID-19.

RELATED: ASUA Notebook 10/6/2021: Racism persists on campus

Currently, the Student Legal Services website refers students to the Pima County Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Program for University of Arizona Students and Southern Arizona Legal Aid.

The Pima County Bar Association typically offers a 30-minute consultation for $35 after filling out an application on their website. For UA students, this price is lowered to $10 when they prove their student status, according to Lawyer Referral Service Coordinator Brenda Garcia.

Southern Arizona Legal Aid similarly provides legal counseling and advice. Students with limited financial means can apply online to see if they qualify.

The UA Daniel F. Cracchiolo Law Library website also features a page regarding resources for finding free legal advice, a local attorney and legal aid services for those with lower incomes and other legal issues.

Gaskin said he hopes to have ASUA Student Legal Services available again by the end of the semester.

“We’re just excited for the opportunity to get someone in the role and start helping folks,” Gaskin said.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter