From Carnegie to Crowder

Saxophone professor Timothy McAllister will be performing the music of 20th-century composers like Claude Debussy on the saxophone Wednesday at Crowder Hall. If its Claire De Lune, it better be good!
    Saxophone professor Timothy McAllister will be performing the music of 20th-century composers like Claude Debussy on the saxophone Wednesday at Crowder Hall. If it’s ‘Claire De Lune,’ it better be good!

For someone who has performed many times and in many places, accomplished saxophonist Timothy McAllister says playing never really gets old.

“”All of us bring some degree of anticipation, and performing doesn’t ever get old,”” said McAllister, who will perform his first UA recital on Wednesday. “”Every experience is quite different. Even with the same concert in the same concert hall, every single performance is different.””

McAllister toured nationally with Prism Saxophone Quartet and with various other musicians and symphonies in addition to recording several albums on his own.

Even after achieving so much, McAllister, who cites Yo-Yo Ma and John Coltrane as a couple of his favorite musicians, says each performance is a new challenge.

“”There are lapses in concentration, equipment may not be working well, your interpretation might alter slightly,”” McAllister said.

“”I go into every performance with a question mark. I’ve played in Carnegie Hall, and every time there have been different circumstances. You feel like you are playing for the first time. I want my next performance to be better than the last. That’s what keeps me coming back. To find new ways to express what I do.””

This will be McAllister’s first time performing since becoming a part of the School of Music faculty.

“”I am very excited to be a part of the recital, because it is my introduction to the community,”” McAllister said.

Before coming to the UA, McAllister had been professor at SUNY Potsdam’s Crane School of Music since 1997. Coming from upstate New York, McAllister says Tucson is a nice change and has a hidden, thriving arts community.

“”It’s a great way for my students, faculty and administration to hear me at my best and affirm their convictions in hiring me. I’m in my 10th year of college teaching, so it’s a similar experience that I’ve had before,”” McAllister said. “”When playing, I want to show the same values I show when I teach. For my students to see me in this environment, that’s where they do a big part of their learning.””

McAllister will be playing solo, duet and three-member 20th-century classical pieces and will be accompanied by UA professors Tannis Gibson on piano and Brian Luce on flute. Concert pieces by Claude Debussy, Kati Agocs, Warren Benson and UA faculty composer Daniel Asia are all included in the concert.

“”With a name like ‘Tributes,’ all of these pieces have some kind of story,”” McAllister said.

“”Tributes”” is Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Crowder Hall in the Music building. Admission is free.