Freshman making impact for Arizona softball

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA Softball vs Sandiego

The Arizona softball team added four freshmen to the roster this year to fill the lineup, and three of them have proven they deserve playing time.

Chelsea Goodacre, Shelby Pendley and Hallie Wilson are falling into place as the season continues, providing major contributions to the team.

Goodacre has gotten a chance to shine behind the plate while Kenzie Fowler and Shelby Babcock battle for the team’s No. 1 pitcher spot.

“Goodie is just a very solid, consistent player,” assistant coach Stacy Iveson said. “She can place the mitt and frame the pitch well and is learning to read the hitters and call her own pitches.”

As a catcher, Goodacre has taken Candrea’s advice on leadership to not only lead by example, but also to practice loud leadership behind the plate.

“Sometimes it’s tough to come in as a freshman and be a leader, but as a catcher it’s important to be vocal and pick up my teammates when they need it,” Goodacre said.

Pendley, a shortstop, has chosen to set a good example by simply stepping up and doing her job. Despite her quiet demeanor, Pendley has a monster bat and has powered Arizona to wins throughout the season.

“I usually try to be the one people look to, I want to work on being a leader — I think we really need that right now,” Pendley said.

A weekday game against New Mexico this month gave Pendley the opportunity to send three balls over the fence, bringing her total to 17 homers this season. Pendley said she prefers fielding balls at shortstop over of batting.

“Defense is just a whole different world for me,” Pendley said. “I could do defense all day but hitting I actually have to work on it and have an approach, but I just love defense.”

In the outfield, Wilson does not seem fazed by her class standing. Wilson said being a freshman all over again has been tough and becoming a leader will be a process.

“We just have to try to step out of our comfort zones,” Wilson said. “My whole thing is I like to slow everything down. I have to just take a moment and take a deep breath.”