Camp Wildcat raises hundreds

Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Camp Wildcat hosted a benefit concert at Club Congress on Thursday, Jan. 29.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat Camp Wildcat hosted a benefit concert at Club Congress on Thursday, Jan. 29.

“”Musica delenit bestiam feram,”” Latin for “”music soothes the untamed beast,”” crowned the top of the Club Congress stage as three acts enticed the audience on Thursday for a good cause — Camp Wildcat’s benefit concert.

The three-hour concert attracted more than 60 community members throughout the night, raising more than $400 through ticket sales. Although final numbers weren’t high, Lucy Patterson, Camp Wildcat chairperson, hoped to match the nearly $700 earnings of previous benefit concerts at the club.

The bands were still excited about the event. They all donated their time to perform sets ranging from half an hour to nearly an hour.

An annual event, the concert is one of two Club Wildcat fundraisers, and this year marks significant changes in the format of the event.

“”Although the concert’s venue was the same as previous years, the smaller set list, only three acts, and the addition of an out-of-state artist changed the event,”” said Patterson. There was a local band, Overcast Off; a solo artist from Phoenix, Anthony Schaan; and headliner, Jakob Martin, from San Diego, Calif.

“”Benefits are always more fun,”” said Martin. “”We’ve all just done a good thing, so we’re ready to have fun.””

The two directors of the event, Nirantha Balagopal and Natalie Lucas, first-year Camp Wildcat members, noted the anticipation and excitement from students about the event.

“”It took from about last fall until about an hour (before the show) to put together,”” said Balagopal. “”Everyone at Camp Wildcat is really excited about the show.””

The money is used for free weekend camping trips for underprivileged Tucson students to get them interested in college.

Lucas joined the club and volunteered to arrange the event because of the impact of the club.

“”The organization is something a lot of people don’t know about … but it’s a great way to meet people, especially at UA, which is such a big campus,”” Lucas said.

Lucas’ aunt was a member of Camp Wildcat two decades ago. Her aunt said that some of her best friends were people she met through the organization, Lucas said.

Martin noted his love for the university and city of Tucson’s music scene.

“”As an artist, I’m really excited to come to a place where people really appreciate it,”” he said.