Candrea held overnight at University of Arizona Medical Center

After leaving the dugout during the third inning of Sunday’s game at ASU, Arizona head softball coach Mike Candrea, 56, was taken to the hospital where an electrocardiogram was performed, the results of which came back normal. Candrea was taken late Sunday from Tempe to the University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson.

“It’s just not one those things you can ever expect,” assistant softball coach Larry Ray said. “Luckily, it’s not serious.”

A UA spokesperson said Candrea spent the night at UAMC and was still there under medical watch as of Monday evening.

“All test results have been encouraging,” the spokesperson said, “but he has not been released from the hospital.”

Candrea’s wife, Tina Candrea, said he should be discharged Tuesday morning if the rest of his tests Monday night went well.

Mike Candrea isn’t expected to coach when the team plays San Diego State University in a two-game series on Tuesday and Wednesday. The series is followed by a matchup against Stanford this weekend, and Ray said he hopes Mike Candrea will be able to return by then.

“If I need to, I will be coaching, but if he comes back in time it’s his to take,” Ray said. “I’m just glad to be hearing some good news.”