Best-selling author visits UA

Best-selling author Dr. Cornel West will be speaking at Centennial Hall at 7 p.m.

His speech entitled “”Borders to Democracy,”” will look at issues such as race and immigration and how these aspects of diversity have an effect on the nation.

West, a Princeton professor who gained national attention for his analytical look at racism in his book “”Race Matters,”” will speak as part of a “”Who Draws the Line? Social Justice Perspectives on Diversity”” series.

According to Amanda Tachine, program director of Native American Student Affairs, West is the capstone speaker for this lecture series, which deals with issues of social justice. Tachine said this is a very relevant and timely topic that can help students to better understand issues of diversity as it pertains to their lives.

The appearance was made possible by a combined effort of diversity groups on campus, including Native American Student Affairs, African American Student Affairs, Asian Pacific American Student Affairs, Chicano-Hispano Student Affairs, LGBTQ Affairs, Women’s Resource Center, as well as aid from the Tohono O’odham Nation, Student Service Fee, UofA Bookstores, the Office of the President and the Dean of Students Office.

The event is free and open to the public and will feature a question-and-answer segment after the lecture in Centennial Hall has concluded. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the event will run until 8:30 p.m.