“GPSC plans speed dating, BBQ, elections for this week”

Elections for GPSC kick off today along with a series of events around campus, including a barbecue on the UA Mall, a storytelling troupe for families and speed dating.

The Graduate and Professional Student Council has organized several activities on campus to coincide with GPSC elections and to recognize graduate and professional student appreciation week.

A free barbecue, open only to graduate students, will be on the Mall at 11:30 a.m. today, an event that Elections Director Amanda Brobbel said drew 611 students last year.

“”I hope we get the same amount – I’ve ordered enough food,”” Brobbel said. “”KAMP (Student) Radio will be there, so there’ll be music and lots of fun stuff.””

For graduate and undergraduate student families, GPSC is teaming with University Activities Board and Commuter Student Affairs to bring a storytelling troupe to the north Mall stage tomorrow as a part of Family Fun Day, Brobbel said.

“”What we are trying to do with GPSC week is to attract all types of populations within the graduate student body,”” she said. “”We know many are parents, but some are single as well.””

Brobbel said more than 20 students have already contacted her about the speed dating event taking place Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Park Student Union.

“”We have never done anything like that before, so I hope it goes well,”” she said.

Graduate and professional week started in 1997, the first year after GPSC separated from the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, Brobbel said.

Coinciding with the festivities are the GPSC elections, which take place today through Friday.

The deadline to apply for candidacy was Friday, and 31 graduate and professional students turned in their materials to run for the 27 elected positions.

The candidate turnout was slightly higher than last year, when 28 students ran, said Paul Thorn, external affairs vice president.

There are 27 elected positions in GPSC: president, vice president, three at-large representatives and 22 constituency representatives, who represent the individual colleges on campus and non-degree-seeking students.

The elections have been restructured this year so that the president and vice president will be elected at-large instead of internally, said Thorn.

“”We thought it would probably make the elections a little more interesting, draw a higher turnout,”” said Thorn, who is running unopposed for GPSC president.

Thorn said he has accumulated the experience and knowledge necessary for the position because of his involvement in GPSC the past few years.

“”I got interested in the cause of making sure graduates are being represented. I thought it was my duty to run, and I thought I was the best person to do the job,”” he said.

Only four of the positions on the ballot this week are contested – the vice presidency and three constituency representative positions.

Five students are running for the three seats representing the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, three are running for the two College of Humanities seats and three are running for the two College of Sciences seats.

Graduate and professional students can cast their online ballots any time this week through the GPSC Web site, www.gpsc.arizona.edu.