Senate approves an increase in stipends and looks to increase outreach (ASUA 1/23/19)

Randall Eck

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, UA’s student governance body, voted to increase Bear Down Camp’s directors stipend, planned its upcoming elections and discussed upcoming outreach events in its Jan. 23 senate meeting. 

Bear Down Camp Director Stipend

ASUA approved an increase for the summer stipend for its Bear Down Camp directors. The measure, introduced by Sedona Lynch, senator for the College of Public Health, raises the directors stipend to $2,500 from $2,000.

Bear Down Camp is a pre-college camp hosted by the UA to help freshman students transition into college by spending time before classes start meeting other students and being introduced to campus resources. 

RELATED: ASUA amends election code in semester’s first meeting (ASUA Notebook 1/16/19)

According to Lynch, the increase will better compensate the directors who work over summer break who find it difficult to find additional employment. 

Kate Rosenstengel, ASUA administrative vice president, wrote in support of the measure. 

“In its current state, the compensation for this directorship is not congruent with the time and effort demanded from the position. The funds for this increase will come from the ASUA Budget surplus,” Rosenstengel wrote to the senate, as she was not able to attend this week’s meeting. 

Upcoming Election 

As part of the ASUA’s upcoming elections, Tara Singleton, an at-large senator, reminded senators that the ASUA office is not a campaign zone.

Election packets will be available at the ASUA front desk on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center. The packets are due to ASUA Feb. 18 for candidates to qualify for the upcoming primary election on March 18 and 19 and the general election March 25 and 26.

Spring Fling and Outreach 

The first meeting of the clubs selected for Spring Fling Weekend was hosted Jan. 23. 

“The whole point is to make the Spring Fling process and experience really smooth for our clubs,” said Matthew Rein, ASUA executive vice president. “We hope it raises a lot of money and makes the best experience possible.”

RELATED: ASUA votes to fund Campus Closet and swear innew senator (ASUA Notebook 12/5/18)

Spring Fling is scheduled from April 12 to April 14.   

ASUA also plans to participate in the upcoming university tuition- and fee-setting process, to ensure the student voice is part of discussions on the university’s proposals. 

Check back with the Daily Wildcat next week for more coverage of ASUA. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter