Arizona women’s basketball remains undefeated with blowout win of Prairie View A&M

Chloe Hislop

University of Arizona Women’s basketball guard Amari Carter during the exhibition match against Eastern New Mexico on October 27. Carter is a senior at the University of Arizona.

Arizona women’s basketball advances to 5-0 after an 83-48 victory against the Prairie View A&M Panthers. 

The Wildcats were in control the entire game, outscoring their opponent in each quarter and outperforming them in almost every facet of the game. They shot 54% from the field and 41% from the three, while their opponent struggled immensely shooting the ball. The Panthers shot only 30% from the field and 25% from behind the arc, a game they will want to forget. Even with their poor shooting efforts, the Panthers could not keep up with boards against the Wildcats, being out rebounded by 19 (47-28).

Sophomore Cate Reese had her most efficient game since the season opener, scoring 20 points on 8-10 FG and grabbing 10 rebounds. As for Aari McDonald, she continued her excellent start to the season by scoring 15 points (6-13 FG) and contributing a season-high in assists of 14.  Before today, the most assists she had in a game was five against Santa Clara on November 8. Freshman Helena Pueyo provided a spark off the bench, scoring 12 points on all three’s (4-5) in only 15 minutes of action. Also, junior Sam Thomas contributed 10 points and 3 assists. 

Although it is early in the season, there aren’t any evident weaknesses to be found on this Arizona’s team. Their starters have exceeded expectations on both ends of the floor and the bench has provided energy when coming into the game. Arizona’s next game is on Sunday at 2:00 PM MST, against Montana at the Dahlberg Arena.