Police Beat: Jan. 23

Counterfeit cash

University of Arizona Police Department officers received a call from the UofA Bookstore on Tuesday at 2 p.m. about a suspicious $20 bill, which had been found on the floor in the law section of the bookstore. The officer inspected the $20 bill and noticed that the ink was fading where the bill had become wet on its corner. UAPD officers and bookstore employees checked the store’s security camera to find out who had dropped the bill, but did not determine who it was. There are no suspects at this time. The bill was photographed and taken into Property and Evidence. Copies of the bill were sent to the U.S. Secret Service.

Bicyclist in the blind spot

UAPD officers arrived at the scene of a car accident involving two students on Tuesday at 5:12 p.m. A woman with a black Ford Mustang hit a male student who was riding a bike on Park Avenue. The Mustang made direct impact with the bicyclist, which caused the man to bounce on top of the car’s front window. When the Mustang stopped, the man was thrown from the windshield.

The Mustang was making a left turn, and officers speculated that the car was not traveling more than 15 mph. The bicyclist was evaluated by officials from the Tucson Fire Department and the Tucson Medical Center. The bicyclist was not taken to the hospital.

Officers asked the driver if she had been drinking. She said she hadn’t been, but that she did not see the bicyclist in her blind spot. Both students were in shock, and eventually exchanged personal information with one another. The two students agreed to handle the incident civilly. UAPD officers took photographs of the Ford Mustang, the bicyclist, the bicycle, surrounding street lights and the skid marks on the road. All photographs were logged into Property and Evidence.

DUI proven with blood test

A male student was pulled over on Wednesday at 2:56 a.m. for drunk driving. The UAPD officer on duty followed the student for a few minutes before deciding to pull him over for driving on curbs and swaying from side to side on the road. The officer asked the student for his driver’s license and registration, and asked if he had anything to drink that night. The student answered, “No, I have not been drinking tonight.” His speech was slurred, his breath smelled like alcohol and his eyes were watery and red. The officer asked the student to step out of the car so he could conduct a field sobriety test.

The officer evaluated the student, and decided that the student had consumed too much alcohol to drive. The student was arrested for driving under the influence, then transported to the UAPD. Officers asked him to conduct a breath test but the student refused to take it, saying, “I’m innocent but I don’t want to risk it.” The officers told the student he was required to give blood after obtaining a warrant to search the student. The student was fingerprinted and transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center for a blood draw, where it was determined that the student was over the legal limit to drive. The blood sample and audio recordings of his slurred speech were taken into Property and Evidence. The case will be forwarded to Tucson Police Department detectives.