Sports Briefs

Baseball ends season at Regionals

The No. 15 Arizona baseball team ended the season on a downnote, falling 3-0 to top seed Wichita State on Monday.

Wichita starter Travis Banwart got the win for WSU (53-20). He didn’t make it out of the second inning in a loss to New Orleans on Friday, but he had all four of his pitches working Monday.

He faced only 12 Wildcats through four innings while striking out seven. He finished with 12 strikeouts in 7 1/2 innings, allowing only two hits.

The Wildcats (42-17) didn’t have a bad starting performance, either, through four innings. Making his seventh start this year, sophomore Mike Colla allowed a runner in each of the first four innings, on three hits and a hit batter, but quickly escaped trouble each inning.

Colla’s luck ran out in the fifth. Leadoff batter Tyler Weber blasted a home run to left-center field for the game’s first run.

Preston Guilmet was brought in after a hit batter and a single.

On Guilmet’s first pitch, Derek Schermerhorn hit a single into left field, scoring Coleman.

One out later, Matt Brown grounded to second base, scoring Dirks for a 3-0 lead.

Noah Krol closed the game for the Shockers. He struck out Jon Gaston to end the eighth and then struck out Sedbrook, C.J. Ziegler and Bill Rhinehart to close out the victory.

– Arizona Summer Wildcat

Track and field set for NCAA Championships

The Arizona men’s and women’s track and field teams are set to compete in the NCAA Championships in Sacramento, Calif., today through Saturday.

The squads wrapped up the 2007 West Region Championships in Eugene, Ore., on May 23, with the No. 15 men finishing tied for seventh with 43.50 points and the women’s team finishing ninth with 34 points.

Seventeen Wildcats – nine men and eight women – earned All-West Region honors during the event.

“”That was a special time, a great reflection on the work that these young folks put in,”” UA head coach Fred Harvey said of the honors. “”To have 17 members make it to the All-West Region team is by far and away the most we’ve ever had. We’re definitely excited about that because that will translate into the national championships.””

– Lance Madden

Track and field signs 12 to National Letters of Intent

Track and field signed 12 athletes to National Letters of Intent during the spring signing period, head coach Fred Harvey announced May 27.

The group consists of Michelle Amente, Michael Armon, Reed Blochberger, Margaret Callahan, Spencer Carter, Abdi Hassan, Jordan Mara, Rebecca Nelson, Kassidy Rede, Luis Rivera, Jonsy Simmons and Victor Zazueta.

They join Kyle Alston (sprints), Luke Bryant (throws), Nicole Lloyd (throws), Zack Lloyd (throws) and LaTisha Holden (hurdles) to complete the UA’s next incoming class. The latter five signed during the fall signing period.

Callahan and Mara hail from Alaska and Canada, respectively. Callahan has personal-best times of 2:21 in the 800 meters, 5:01 in the 1,600 meters and 11:09 in the 3,200 meters, while Mara has a top time of 1:53.27 in the 800 meters.

“”Running a mile – whether it is in Alaska, Hawaii, or on the moon – is running a mile,”” Harvey said. “”If you have a young person that can run a mile in less than five minutes, you have a great athlete no matter where that person is from. But because of where they are in the world, their opportunity for competition is limited. As a Wildcat, they will have the opportunity.””

– Lance Madden