UA affiliated? There’s an app for that

Juni Nelson
Michelle A. Monroe / Arizona Daily WIldcat Kyle Oman, a graduate student in communications and the social media coordinator for Student Affairs, describes his favorite apps and suggests some for students. He’s demonstrating on his iPad 2.

Communication graduate student Kyle Oman sits at Canyon Café with his iPad 2 opened on the table and his smartphone, the HTC Sensation, ready by his hand.

He is the manager of social media for Student Affairs at the UA and is showing off some of his favorite applications that help him keep track of both school and work.

“I actually leave my laptop in my office and take my iPad to class,” Oman said. “I use mine for work, for school, for fun because it’s a device I have figured out how to tailor to my life.”

These new gadgets are not uncommon at coffee shops around the UA campus. With technology being used both in and outside of the classroom, many students rely on computers to stay connected and on task and are utilizing smartphones and tablet computers more and more.

“Instead of carrying my computer around it’s easier to carry my phone,” said Angela Hagan, a physiology freshman who owns an iPhone. “Especially when I am on the run, I actually have something to work on during my breaks.”

According to Gartner, a technology research and advisory company, sales for smartphones has increased 85 percent since 2010 and will continue to grow throughout the year. With added technology comes the wave of applications students can download and use on their smartphones and tablets. And with the help of Oman and some UA students, the Daily Wildcat has compiled a list of applications to get you ready for the school year.

1. Arizona Mobile: Launched for both the iPhone and Android mobile devices this summer, the Arizona Mobile App helps UA students and visitors stay connected to what is going on campus. Some features include an interactive campus map, schedules to upcoming sporting events and access to meal plans.

“I got the app because my friend recommended it,” said Katie Gaab, a pharmacy senior and new iPhone owner. “The main reason I use it is because of the map.”

2. Evernote: This app is a personal planner that can help take notes, record audio and organize content. The interesting thing about Evernote is you can auto-synchronize everything from your computer, to your tablet and your phone. The application is free to download but for their premium option, which comes with a fee, users are able to share files such as PDFs and Microsoft Word documents. “It’s the single best app for a student,” Oman said.

3. Mint.com: To keep track of your finances on a student budget, Mint.com offers an app where you can set up an account on your computer and keep track of you budget on your phone.

4. Grocery iQ: Save time aimlessly strolling the grocery isle during your homework breaks with this app. Make a list throughout the week of what you need to buy and when you are ready to shop the app will help navigate you around the store. “It’s like having GPS at a grocery store,” Oman said. “It makes everything easier to find and is fun to use.”

5. StumbleUpon: Though this may not be the best application to help you study, StumbleUpon gives users the chance to browse the Internet based on likes and preferences. The app also allows you to connect by sharing what you have found with other users and social networking sites like Facebook.