Men’s golf wraps up fall schedule

The University of Arizona men’s golf team has had a disappointing and frustrating season, but they have one more chance to right its wrongs this week.

The team will compete in the Gifford Collegiate Championship which starts today and will continue until Wednesday. This will be the last tournament the Wildcats will play in for the fall.

“”We need to find more than one guy that can play a little bit,”” head coach Rick LaRose said. We are looking for a couple of our young guys to step up a little bit.””

The coaching staff had to change the line up around with sophomore Juan Pablo Hernandez out for this tournament. Hernandez was selected by Mexico to represent the country in a tournament in Argentina. Hernandez will be replaced in the lineup by freshman Tye Beall.

“”We have really high hopes for Tye, great young freshman player,”” LaRose said.

LaRose also has high expectations for other players to perform as well.

“”I need Erik Oja to take the lessons he learned in his Orlando debacle and play a little bit better,”” LaRose said. “”We certainly have a lot of room for improvement but we are going to be ok. We are a little better then we have shown.””

The Orlando debacle that LaRose was referring to was the Isleworth Collegiate in which the team struggled and landed in last place.

“”One or two bad swings just multiply for us more than they should an we just can’t find a way to recover,”” said assistant coach Andy Barnes. “”Depth and inconsistency are definitely a part of it.””

Although the team has struggled all year LaRose does not think the team is down on themselves or lost any confidence.

After the Isleworth Collegiate senior captain Tarquin MacManus voiced his displeasure in how the season has gone so far.

“”I think we are getting frustrated,”” MacManus said. “”The more frustrated we get the more it’s probably not going to work out.””

The Wildcats will have their hands full this weekend as they compete against three schools that are ranked in the top 20, including No. 1 UCLA and No.6 Augusta State. Augusta State is also the defending NCAA champion. The team is not giving this tournament any added appeal because it is it the end of their fall schedule.

“”Every tournament is important to us,”” LaRose said. “”We certainly want to put a few W’s on the left side of the column. It’s a big tournament. We can’t afford mistakes, you got to play good. If you want to play good you have to play the best and we are in search of excellence.””