Halftime recap: Arizona 34, Michigan State 30

Jesus Barrera

Kobi Simmons (left) and Rawle Alkins (right) dribble down the court of the Richard Jefferson practice facility during men’s basketball media day on Thursday, Sept. 29. Simmons and Alkins are both five-star recruits and members of Arizona’s incoming 2016-17 team.

After a rough start for Arizona basketball, mainly the inability to stop Michigan State’s freshman Miles Bridges, the Wildcats recovered and took a 34-30 lead into halftime at the Armed Forces Classic in Hawaii on Friday night.

The Spartans started off on fire led by Bridges seven points in the first four minutes and jumping out to a 17-2 lead early on. The Spartans also connected three straight 3-pointers to aid their cause and send the Wildcats scurrying for help.

That help would come from freshman Kobi Simmons who launched Arizona into a 30-9 run that would see them take the lead into halftime.

“Kobi Simmons on offense for a freshman in his first college game I think obviously showed what a talented player he is,” said Arizona head coach Sean Miller on ESPN. “We wouldn’t be up four if he didn’t play the way he did.”

Simmons scored 15 points on 4-for-6 shooting including two 3-pointers to help the Wildcats recover from a slow start. Lauri Markkanen is the second leading scorer with seven points.

Michigan State was led on offense by Bridges who has 9 points.

“We’re so much a work in progress,” Miller said. “To our team’s great credit, we hung in there and the fact that we’re in a tough game I think says a lot about our group. I am happy to be where we are at halftime.”

Follow Saul Bookman on Twitter.