Police Beat: February 26

Can’t hold your Jell-O

A UA student was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center for extreme intoxication on Sunday at 1:50 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrived at Gila Residence Hall to check on the welfare of a student. The on-duty resident assistant met the officer and took him to a room on the third floor. In the room, the officer found a student lying on the bed and vomiting into a trash can while her roommate held her hair.

The student told the officer she had taken two Jell-O shots at an on-campus party, but she would not say exactly where the party had been.

The student was disoriented and slow to answer the officer’s questions. She also had red, watery eyes, slurred speech and alcohol on her breath. Tucson Fire Department arrived at the room and determined that she needed to be transported to UAMC.

The student was then diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking.

No, but I have a CVS card

A non-UA affiliated man was escorted off the UA campus after a UAPD officer noticed him acting suspiciously on Sunday at 2:40 p.m.

An officer was on bike patrol when he noticed a man trying to open the doors to the Education building. The doors were locked and the man could not go inside. He then walked to the Modern Languages building and tried opening those doors, which were also locked.

The officer approached the man and asked him if he was a student or faculty member at the UA. The man said he wasn’t, but that he was a student at Pima Community College. The man, however, could not provide the name of any of his professors at Pima. When asked for identification, the man said he didn’t have a driver’s license but provided a CVS pharmacy Extra Care card.

The man said he was trying to get into the Modern Languages building to use a computer in there. He also said his friend worked in the building. The name the man provided for his friend failed to bring up any results in the UA phonebook. The officer also noticed the man was carrying two black bags. The man consented to a search of the bags and the officer found both bags to be empty.

When the officer told the man it was very odd to be carrying around two empty bags, the man just shrugged.

The officer told the man that if he returns to the UA without a legitimate reason,he could be arrested for trespassing. The officer took pictures of the man and led him off campus.

Now Carol doesn’t need goggles

A UAPD officer responded to a report of spilled mercury in the Physics and Atmospheric Sciences building on Thursday at 3:42 p.m.

The officer arrived at the building and met with the professor who was instructing students in the lab. The professor said that the students were working with mercury and the pressure caused the mercury to shoot from the instrument the students were using. The professor estimated that about two tablespoons of mercury had spilled. One student also had a substance on his clothing that was possibly mercury.

The Department of Risk Management Services responded and cleaned up the mercury and vacuumed the clothing of the student. Risk Management will have the instrument destroyed to prevent any future mercury spills.