Just another game

While most of the attention that the football team receives during Homecoming has to do with its performance on the field, the Wildcats are looking forward to what comes off of the gridiron.

A number of ex-Wildcats make it back to Tucson each year for Homecoming. That’s what has quarterback Nick Foles most excited about this year’s festivities.

Still, it’s just another football game, as Arizona looks to keep its slim bowl hopes alive with a win against Utah on Saturday.

“This is just another chance to see them, so it’ll be fun to catch up and see how they’re doing,” Foles said. “To see some of the ex-players that I played with when I first got here will be pretty neat.”

Many players that are now playing in the NFL make it back to the Old Pueblo for workouts during the summer, something that Foles said can make up for their inability to come back for the Homecoming game.

“A lot of the guys that are in the league, I know they’re busy,” Foles said. “So I doubt all of them will make it back. But it’ll be fun to see who comes back and to catch up with those guys after the game.”

But while Foles and several other players look forward to seeing old teammates, cornerback Trevin Wade said that he doesn’t understand the excitement surrounding Homecoming weekend every year.

“I never get the feeling,” Wade said. “I don’t understand it. I just go out there and play.”

Wade said that while he doesn’t get caught up in the Homecoming festivities, he’s happy to see former players make it back whenever possible.

“It’s pretty cool, but I only really talk to a few of them,” Wade continued. “It was cool seeing (Rob) Gronkowski a couple of weeks back. We talk all the time, so that was cool seeing him.”

But while seniors Foles and Wade have learned to block out some of the extra attention that comes with Homecoming every year, freshman running back Ka’Deem Carey said that he’s looking forward to his first homecoming at Arizona, even though he’s from the Tucson area.

“I just get to play here and play in this stadium,” sad Carey, a Canyon del Oro High School graduate. “It’s just a fun atmosphere, but I feel like every game is a Homecoming.”

Quotes to note

“It’s going to be a great environment out there. We’ve got a lot of the fans coming back and a lot of the ex- players coming back. As a team, we’re just looking to go out there and put on a show for them.”

– Safety Robert Golden

“I never get the feeling. I don’t understand it. I just go out there and play.”

– Cornerback Trevin Wade

“Just having all the guys come in. Ex-players, they’ll come back and work out over the summer or whatever, so it’ll be fun to see who comes back and catch up with those guys after the game.

– Quarterback Nick Foles

“Homecoming’s always a good time of year. I’m excited to get out there in front of all the old alumni, so guys are really pumped up this week.”

– Wide receiver Gino Crump