Swim to host Wisconsin

The Arizona swim team will challenge the Wisconsin Badgers today at 2 p.m. in Hillenbrand Aquatic Center in the first traditional dual meet of the season.

Head coach Frank Busch respects what the Badgers have to offer.

“”Wisconsin is a good team, solid. They’re always in the upper division,”” Busch said. “”I think their women’s team is a little stronger than the men’s.””

Women’s senior captain Dana Christ also acknowledged their opponent’s talent.

“”Wisconsin is very competitive with us,”” Christ said. “”The one name I’m really familiar with is Maggie Meyer. I’ve swum with her since I was a freshman. I know that she’s developed and is a great backstroker and freestyler.””

Despite Meyer’s respectable reputation, the women’s team plans on putting up a fight.  

“”We also got a nice group of sprint freestylers this year and strong backstrokers, so I’m excited to see what they can do and see how much they can push her,”” Christ said.

Unlike the last meet, there won’t be any experimenting with swimmers and events. As the Texas Invite nears, each meet will focus on “”tuning up.””

“”We’re going to start sharpening up a bit,”” Busch said. “”For us, these opportunities are to race and work on things that you do, that you need to do, to make the NCAA standards. If they’re tuned in to what they need to be tuned in to, they’ll do a good job in their races.””

Men’s junior captain Cory Chitwood also emphasized the importance of tuning.

“”Fine tuning the small things is how you become the best,”” Chitwood said. “”Everyone can swim and swim hard, but the people that do the small things right are the best.””

For this meet, Chitwood is “”trying to get tuned up for Texas Invite, trying to have good turns, good starts, good break outs, just the small things that will add up in the end.””

Today also marks the second home meet of the season. For Chitwood, home is synonymous with comfort.  

“”I feel more at home here because I know this pool inside and out,”” Chitwood said. “”I feel comfortable. When you’re away it’s a totally different environment. It’s nice to be here in front of the home crowd, and all the families will be here.””