Integrity reformation

Associate Dean of Students Keith Humphrey addresses the ASUA Senatorial Board concerning the UA Code of Academic Integrity on Wednesday in the Student Union Memorial Center.

The Code of Academic Integrity is about to receive a facelift.

Associate Dean of Students Keith Humphrey outlined the new code at the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate meeting Wednesday evening. The code was carefully constructed by faculty of the university and focus groups comprised of students and ASUA senators at the beginning of the semester.

“”If students have ideas, let us know what they are,”” said ASUA President Tommy Bruce. “”Because the students are directly affected by these changes, they have the best ideas, and we always encourage suggestions.””

As the Student Code of Conduct was recently changed, it was imperative that the Code of Integrity stay updated and relevant, Humphrey said.

The Dean’s Office and focus groups wanted to make the process more student-friendly. There were also changes requested by the faculty and deans, as they wanted to expand the range of educationally motivated sanctions that are offered by the university to students.

The modifications require that faculty give advance notice regarding the reason and time of Code of Academic Integrity conferences. If the faculty member does not act within 15 days and does not acquire the required documentation from the dean of the college, the student is exonerated on all charges.

Another new modification states that no charge, unless it regards suspension or expulsion, will be revisited or modified.

The appeals process has also been reorganized so that if the violation continues past the date of graduation, the dean should make an effort to hear the case as quickly as possible, and if the dean is not able to hear the case, the vice president for instruction will hear the case.

All of these changes, and the Academic Code of Integrity in its entirety, will also apply to students in the summer, winter and pre-sessions. The hearings for the students involved in these sessions will proceed at the discretion of the dean of the college.

Students will also be given the right to dismiss their adviser in the hearing if they find him or her to be disruptive. The student also now has the right to postpone the meeting until he or she finds a new adviser.

“”The changes are fairly simple,”” Bruce said. “”They are there to protect the students and put up some parameters.””

On a lighter note, the meeting also addressed the success of Homecoming Week. The traditional Club Olympics on the UA Mall are going to conclude with the mud tug-of-war, which Bruce said will “”change your life.””

Instead of separate events on Bear Down Friday, the entire event will be continuous, ending with a bonfire in front of Old Main.