Men’s golf: Cats spring breaking in Vegas

The No. 23 Arizona men’s golf team competes in Sin City in the Las Vegas Invitational today through Sunday in an event that features a top-notch field with eight of the nation’s top-10 teams in attendance.

“”I am looking for us to go and compete for the win, even if we get third or a top-five performance, to move up in the polls,”” Arizona assistant coach John Knauer said.

Knauer said that he wants the Wildcats to be in the mix with the top competition because the postseason is quickly approaching.

The Wildcats will be led by junior Henry Liaw, who was just named the Pacific 10 Conference Golfer of the Month.

This tournament has proved to be a prosperous one for Liaw in the past, as he shot a round of 65 at the course as a freshman. Knauer said he is looking to Liaw to be in competition for top individual honors.

“”It’s going to be a strong field,”” Liaw said. “”If we win in Vegas we have a good shot at winning the national championships.””

Liaw may get a jolt from his newest accolade, but he said that it won’t change his game.

“”It’s definitely a boost to my confidence,”” he said.

Juniors Josh Esler and Nathan Tyler, sophomore Travis Esway and freshman Nick Park will join Liaw.

Park competed as an individual for the Wildcats in the last tournament, the John Burns Intercollegiate Feb. 22-24.

“”He has finished well in the last two tournaments and has been improving,”” Knauer said. “”He is a tough competitor.””

Knauer said that he hopes that Esler can get it turned around in Las Vegas. He also said that both Park and Esway have never seen the course before but that they have been playing well in practice rounds.

Over the break, the Wildcats will also be competing in the Hall of Fame Invitational in Humble, Texas, March 17-19.

“”We are starting on the road to the postseason,”” Knauer said.