Arizona hockey falls to Colorado State

Rebecca Marie Sasnett
Rebecca Marie Sasnett / The Daily Wildcat Junior forward Jason Effertz drives towards the goal during Arizona’s 3-2 loss against Colorado State in the Tucson Convention Center on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013.

After taking a win against No. 1 ASU for the first time in 37 games, Arizona hockey had the momentum in its favor heading into last night’s road game against Colorado State.

However, the Rams (11-21-1, 5-9-0 WCHL) pulled off an upset 4-2 victory over the No. 14 Wildcats (15-16-0, 6-8-0 WCHL) at the NoCo Ice Center on Thursday.

With the loss, Arizona was swept in the season series 0-3-0 against Colorado State.

The lone bright spot for the UA was that all three players on the line of senior forwards Ansel Ivens-Anderson and Andrew Murmes, along with sophomore winger Brennen Parker, each had a two-point effort. Murmes and Ivens-Anderson both scored and had an assist for the Wildcats, while Parker assisted both goals.

Still, Murmes was not happy with the final result.

“It’s always tough playing games on a travel day,” Murmes said. “Not enough rest and tough to get meals in.”

Tonight, the Wildcats seek redemption against Colorado (8-17-1, 2-11-0 WCHL), who they dominated 8-0 earlier in the season.

The puck will drop at 7:30 p.m. both nights at the UC Rec Center Ice Arena.

Arizona received goals from defensemen Wil Pointon and Mike Basist, along with forwards Murmes, Parker, Zach Morgan and Grant Nicholson in the Halloween rout. Morgan’s was his first career college hockey goal.

Against the Buffaloes in his first ever ACHA start, freshman goalie Garrett Patrick posted a shutout, saving all 16 shots faced.

“Coming off a big win against ASU, we took a step back and took them lightly,” Murmes said. “It happens, and that’s why we have two more games to win and make it a good weekend and close out the season in Minot with, hopefully, a couple wins, too.”

—Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo