Red Cross encourages donating blood on campus

Pre-nursing freshman Sarah Conn gets her blood drawn yesterday at the Red Cross blood drive in the UofA Bookstore in the Student Union Memorial Center. The drive will continue Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at all locations.

Save a life while on your lunch break.

That is the message being conveyed by the American Red Cross in coordination with the Graduate and Professional Student Council, UofA Bookstores, Arizona Student Unions and Kappa Delta Chi sorority as a series of blood drives is being staged on campus throughout the week to encourage students and faculty to donate blood to save lives.

“”Since there are so many locations and opportunities for donors to give blood, we are hoping that about 400 to 500 students and faculty will give us one hour of their time,”” said Anne Murdaugh, vice president of GPSC, which is sponsoring the drive.

Murdaugh, who is a regular blood donor, said she believes that campus blood drives are a good way for students to help out the community.

“”The Red Cross usually comes to campus every month and presents students the opportunity to make a difference and incorporate themselves in the community,”” Murdaugh said.

Another person will need blood every two seconds, and more than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day across the country. One donation of a pint of blood can help save the lives of up to three people, according to the American Red Cross Web site.

Approximately 60 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to give blood, but only 5 percent do so in a given year, according to the Web site.

Shortages of all blood types usually occur during the summer and winter holidays, with Type O blood being the most often requested by hospitals because they are universal donors – however, 7 percent of people in the U.S. have this blood type.

“”The Red Cross usually comes to campus every month and presents students the opportunity to make a difference and incorporate themselves in the community.””

– Anne Murdaugh, vice president of GPSC

There are few risks involved with donating blood, said Patrick McClean, a Red Cross donor service technician.

“”As long as individuals who plan to donate blood come prepared, such as being sufficiently hydrated and having something to eat beforehand, they should not see any adverse reactions,”” McClean said.

Some minor reactions that may occur as a result of being dehydrated or donating on an empty stomach may include dizziness, light headedness or short fainting spells, McClean said.

Sarah Conn, a pre-nursing freshman, said she donated yesterday because she thinks it’s important to help others in need.

“”I have had a few surgeries where I had to have blood transfusions, so I know that it is definitely necessary to help,”” Conn said. “”I think it is a great idea that the UA sponsors blood drives because it is generally hard for students to get off campus.””

Natalie Geist, an undeclared sophomore, said she donated because of her good health and the benefits to the community.

“”The Red Cross should come to college campuses more often because there is an enormous population of young, healthy adults who could save countless lives with simple blood donations,”” she said.

In order to donate blood, donors must be older than 17, weigh more than 110 pounds and be in good health, according to the Red Cross Web site.

The blood drive will continue today in the UofA Bookstore, Park Student Union Game Room and on the UA Mall near the Main Library, and tomorrow in the North Ballroom in the SUMC as well as the PSU Game Room.

All locations are open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.