Arizona players to watch in 2010-11

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Nic Wise iced the game in double-overtime with a layup with just over one second left to beat the USC Trojans 86-84 Saturday in McKale Center. It was Senior Day for the Cats as Nic Wise played his last game in McKale.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Nic Wise iced the game in double-overtime with a layup with just over one second left to beat the USC Trojans 86-84 Saturday in McKale Center. It was Senior Day for the ‘Cats as Nic Wise played his last game in McKale.

Walking around Arizona’s campus, you will encounter some of the world’s finest athletes.

The UA has had many former athletes go on to compete in the NBA, NFL, MLB and the Olympics. You might be eating lunch in the Student Union Memorial Center with the next big sports star. This school year, there will be athletes on campus who will set themselves up for the next level. Here are some of players to watch for in the 2010-11 season.

Derrick Williams

If you take a look at the 2011 NBA mock drafts, you’re just about guaranteed to see Derrick Williams as first-round pick. Last season, Williams surprised many with his play, which led the team in scoring, averaging 15 points and seven rebounds and ending the season by making the freshman All-American first team. The sophomore is the only player on the freshman All-American first team to return to school, which means Williams should be considered the best sophomore in college basketball.

Juron Criner

Last season, Arizona’s junior wide receiver Juron Criner became the Wildcats’ big play threat and major concern for the opposing team’s defenses. As a sophomore, Criner had 45 catches for 582 yards and had a team-high nine touchdowns. The junior is another big-time season away from the NFL Draft, so you may want to pay attention because he may not be around for long.

Nick Foles

Arizona junior quarterback Nick Foles started the 2009-10 season as the backup behind junior Matt Scott. Who could forget last season’s opener, when Arizona’s coaching staff told Foles he would get some snaps? In Arizona’s third game against Iowa, Foles was given the chance when Scott struggled, and he never looked back. Foles led the team to its second-straight bowl game, and midway through the Pac-10 schedule, was arguably the best Pac-10 QB. Foles slowed down toward the end of the season, but if the junior can put together a complete season in 2010, the sky is the limit.

Kenzie Fowler

Pitcher Kenzie Fowler came to Arizona with high expectations and she lived up to all of them. The freshman pitcher had a 38-9 record for the Wildcats and had four no-hitters in her first season. Fowler was a critical part in the Wildcats’  Women’s College World Series run, being named to the WCWS first team and leading Arizona to a runner-up finish.

Whitney Dosty

Volleyball redshirt senior Whitney Dosty has battled injuries her entire Wildcat career, but when healthy, she is one of the nation’s best volleyball players. Dosty came to Arizona in 2006 with one of the most impressive freshman seasons in the history of the program. Dosty enters her last season at Arizona and could end her career on a high note, barring any more injuries.