Top ranked men’s swim team remains undefeated; Women’s team loses in close decision

Arizona’s No. 1-ranked and undefeated swimming team faced its toughest test of the season over the weekend against No. 2 Texas, but the Wildcats escaped unscathed.

Senior Cory Chitwood led the Wildcats as he finished first in the 200-yard Individual Medley and the 200-yard backstroke. The backstroke event may have been a preview of the NCAA finals, as many of the swimmers will compete in the NCAA race for the event.

“We came off probably the hardest weekend we will face all season,” Chitwood said. “After beating Cal and Stanford, to come out and get a victory in the fashion we did was unbelievable.”

The men’s team trounced the Longhorns 155-88 in what was the final home meet for the Arizona seniors, who have been a key component to the success of the Wildcats this season, according to head coach Eric Hansen.

“With the way they executed, that says everything,” Hansen said. “They really pulled it off today.”

The women were behind for most of their 128-115 loss to the Longhorns but came back to close the gap toward the end.

“Our women swam well even though we got beat,” Hansen said. “Some of our holes were obvious and that’s our job going into championship season.”

Due to the traditional format of the race, the Wildcats missed out on three of their better events. However, Hansen said this was not seen as a fallback but a learning experience.

“This is the old-school format and it gave away three events that we are good at,” Hansen said. “I thought it was a good idea to deal with some adversity because we are going to deal with adversity.”

Arizona will close out the regular season with a dual meet on Feb. 11 against ASU in Tempe.