The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

70° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat

 

    4-year-old served alcohol at Chicago restaurant

     

    A 4-year-old girl thought she was drinking a chocolate shake last night at a Chili’s restaurant on the far South Side, but she was actually served a “”Mudslide”” — made with vodka, Kahlua, and Bailey’s Irish Cream.

    Tyree Davis took her daughter, Brooklynn, to dinner Sunday at the Chili’s restaurant on 119th Street.

    When Brooklynn’s drink order came, she took about four sips with a straw before letting her mother know it tasted strange.

    Her mother says she tried it and knew immediately that it was alcoholic.

    At about the same time, their waitress approached with the correct milkshake order and acknowledged the mistake. Davis says she was told the waitress had only worked there a week and didn’t know that milkshakes and bar drinks are served in very different glassware.

    Davis says the manager came and apologized, and offered to pick up the tab, but she had already called police and photographed the two beverages.

    She then took Brooklynn to Metro South Hospital, where doctors treated the little girl for alcohol overdose.

    “”She was intoxicated. She was closing her eyes for a minute at a time, and she was telling me that her stomach hurt and her head hurt, and she just wanted to lay down,”” Davis tells WGN. “”Once we got to the hospital, her dad came and she was like, haywire.””

    Davis says she doesn’t want this to happen to any other family.

    Chili’s franchise states its initial findings reveal conflicting details and that “”the drink in question was served to an adult, in glass barware, not to a child or in a kids’ cup.””

    Te child’s mother says she didn’t order any alcohol. 

    More to Discover
    Activate Search