Arizona baseball drops first game of season against Minnesota

Griffin Riley

Cameron Haskell pitching during Arizona’s game against New Mexico state on April 30 in Tucson.

The University of Arizona’s baseball team fell 2-5 against Minnesota Monday afternoon. It was the Wildcats’ first loss of the season after sweeping Albany in their opening series of the season this past weekend. Here is a look at a few key numbers that came from this neutral site game that was played up in Tempe. 

13-game winning streak snapped

The Wildcats had a 13-game winning streak dating back to last season, where Arizona won 10 straight games to finish the season, but it was snapped as a result of this loss. UA scored more than 10 runs in eleven games during that stretch and never scored fewer than eight runs. They scored just two runs in this loss. 

1-7 with runners in scoring position

Arizona had plenty of chances to put runs on the board this afternoon but ultimately failed to take advantage of those opportunities; they went just 1-7 as a team with runners in scoring position. Ryan Holgate led the way, going 3-4 with one RBI and run scored. The rest of the lineup went 4-29 this afternoon. 

13 strikeouts

After striking out 17 times as a team across the three games against Albany to open up the season, Arizona almost exceeded that amount as a team in one game this afternoon, as they struck out 13 times as a team. The Golden Gophers were led by starter J.P. Massey, who struck out seven Arizona hitters across 4.2 innings. Donta Williams, Matthew Dyer, Kyson Donahue and Tony Bullard all struck out twice for Arizona.

What’s next
Arizona heads to San Diego for the Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament. The ‘Cats will begin the weekend against Southern Illinois Friday afternoon, with first pitch set for 2 p.m.

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter