UA Rec Center offers new fitness incentives to students and family members

Sofia Moraga
Campus Recreation, located on 6th and Highland, offers multiple amenities for students to stay active during the year.

Self-defense, German long sword, cooking classes, yoga, body pump, high intensity training, any of these spark your interest?

Family Weekend is approaching, and the University of Arizona Campus Recreation Center is participating in the festivities. 

“The more we can showcase our offerings and encourage all students to participate (through special programs or the support of their families), the more likely we are to touch ever student at least once during their time at the University of Arizona,” said Tara Watson, Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications for Campus Recreation.

Recently, the UA Rec Center has been promoting new amenities that will become available to students and their families during Family Weekend. Starting on Oct. 5 and going until Oct. 7, the facility is granting all-weekend access, including night hikes, outdoor zip-lining – all free. 

The new incentives are driven by the universities urge for inclusion, according to Ryan Ring, a Rec Center staff member. “We would like more students to get engaged and that’s the whole mission for the campus rec – to serve the student population,” he said.

Various classes, catering to a diverse audience have opened a flood-gate of possibilities for the improvement with student involvement at rec center. 

RELATED: Campus Services: From A to Z

“The rec isn’t just a place to work out, we’re here to provide as many activities and services to encompass all of the students,” Ring said. That is why we have chess, checkers, fencing, it’s not just a regular gym, we don’t tailor to just a small community.”

Senior journalism student Alex Gonzalez said that the implementation of additional events has impacted his forthcoming week positively.

“Normally, my family comes down for one day for family weekend and some come for the whole weekend,” he said “Finding out about the new events have actually convinced my parents to stay longer to engage in activities that usually wouldn’t be free of expense.”

If you’re into spin, body pump or yoga classes, it’s best to secure your spot on the rec website or show up earlier than the time it is scheduled to start. 

“Our spin classes, body pump, and yoga classes always fill up the fastest, it’s just something that everyone seems to be into,” Ring said. High participation classes as such are usually made available through a purchase of $7 or buying an all-inclusive pass but will remain free during family weekend.

In an event that has the potential of generating a high level of traffic at the recreation center, additional measures are employed for the safety of students. 

RELATED: Rec Center now ranked 33 out of 50 on national list

“We don’t want people from off the street walking in,” said Troy Vaughn, director of Campus Recreation. “You must be a student with a valid cat card.”

A student must accompany all family members who wish to partake in the services offered for the weekend. Legal photo ID is required for entrance. If a participant is under the age of 18, a legal guardian or parent must accompany them, and do not have access to weights.

According to Ring, there are no charts that show the level of intensity of the classes.

The class intensities are not specified but can be verified by searching the name of the class on the rec website and reading the class description – if still unsure, ask an instructor before the class begins.

Campus Rec boasts doing more than 100 events during the year including hiking trips to the canyon. If you don’t get to join in the upcoming events, don’t despair, there are a multiplicity that will be at your disposal throughout the academic year. 

Visit the UA Campus Recreation website for additional information on the upcoming events.

Follow Kaali Roberts on Twitter