Golf teams to hit links for second tournament

Last weekend, both the Arizona men’s and women’s golf teams opened up their fall seasons with less-than-stellar performances.

The men’s team completed the William H. Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M. in seventh place out of 16 teams. The women’s team finished the Mason Rudolph Championships in Nashville, Tenn., with an 11th-place finish out of 17 teams.

Both teams have a lot to think about coming out of last weekend and will use those plays in another tournament this week. The men’s team will compete in the Wolf Pack Classic in Reno, Nev., and the women’s squad competes in the Northwestern Invitational in Stokie, Ill.

“”We are just trying to get better,”” said men’s head coach Rick LaRose. “”We are just trying to improve on our last performance.””

The men’s and women’ teams share other similarities, as both finished last season on a down note and this year’s versions of the teams are structured around younger players who are all fighting to become team leaders.

LaRose said his team doesn’t have a true leader, but rather all of his players have an equal chance of emerging as one.

“”We have got five good players and they are going to show what they have,”” LaRose said.

The women’s head coach, Shelly Haywood, sees a similar situation with her team.

“”This season we have something that we didn’t have before and that is a team of players who are all capable of becoming a leader at any time,”” Haywood said.

On the women’s side, junior Brittany Benvenuto is coming off of her career best 3-under-par 69 and will be looking to emerge as the team’s No. 1 player. Freshman Margarita Ramos will also look to have a big tournament after recently being named to the National High School Golf Coaches Association Girls All-America Team for achievements in high school.