Ten reasons not to study abroad

1. For many programs, the UA will record the courses you take overseas as pass/fail, effectively removing the challenge to balance your social life and your schooling that is usually imposed by a tertiary education.

2. A disproportionate number of people will think your voice is sexy, regardless of whether this is truly the case. Accents confuse people; you may not like the extra attention.

3. You may lose your figure if not readily exposed to the cuisine available at Carl’s Jr and Taco Bell.

4. The legal drinking age is lower in almost every other country in the world and you’ll end up spending all your money on alcohol and exploring the night-life. You may also find it difficult to come back to the US and have these liberties again removed from you. Best to avoid the opportunity altogether.

5. Many universities have comprehensive orientation programs for international students and you’ll meet many people from all over the world who will tell you all these great things about their home countries and make you want to travel there. You don’t need the extra expense.

6. There’s no point in exposing yourself to any cultural diversity. Who needs more variety than what you’ve got right here?

7. The contact with your parents will be limited to telephone and emails. This means they will not be able to monitor your activities and you will have to tell them about your wholesome life to receive due praise for it.

8. Your friends at home will miss you and send you presents. These presents might make you exceed your baggage allowance and you will be left with the hassle of either figuring out what to do with them, or otherwise paying money to take home the gifts these thoughtless people have sent you.

9. You might end up somewhere where they don’t speak English and probably won’t be able to avoid learning the language. Even incidental language acquisition is a waste of your precious mental resources

10. You’ll be further away from Canada.

Clear enough? The Study Abroad Fair is taking place on the UA Mall on November 10th from 10am to 2pm where you can find more information about the slew of programs available from UA Study Abroad Advisors and Faculty Members, International Visitors, and Program Provider Representatives. Go.

Dunja Nedic is an Australian exchange student. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.