Police Beat: October 1

Dorm drifter does jail

A UA student flagged down two University of Arizona Police Department officers to report a “creepy” woman walking around the area of the Villa Del Puente and Apache-Santa Cruz residence halls at 10:24 p.m. on Sept. 22.

He said the woman had been inside Apache-Santa Cruz for more than an hour and was making him and the other residents uncomfortable. The student claimed she came into the downstairs lounge, and he offered her some pizza. She had stayed down there for a long period of time, but eventually left and walked toward La Paz Residence Hall.

Many other students claimed they had seen the woman inside both Villa del Puente and Apache-Santa Cruz. The officers notified the resident assistant on duty for Apache-Santa Cruz and radioed the description of the female to other units.

A few minutes later, two officers responded saying they were with a female matching their description on the east side of Arizona Stadium. The male UA student was called to identify the suspect and said it was the same woman he saw in his dorm earlier. The woman said she was a UA student who lived off campus, and that she was just visiting a friend. She added that she didn’t know the name of the dorm she was looking for, so she just pointed toward the west side of the stadium.

The officers looked up the name of the woman’s friend, but there was no listing of a UA student with that name. One of the officers asked once again if her friend was a student and she said yes, but eventually admitted she wasn’t a UA student.

Throughout the conversation, the woman was vague and changed her details when the officer asked her questions, and was eventually arrested on charges of criminal trespassing. This caused her to become argumentative and she moved away from the officers and walked around trying to hide behind one of the other officers at the scene. When she was searched and put into the patrol car to be transported to Pima County Jail, she began screaming at the officers and kicking her feet.

Attempt to spice up night goes wrong

A UAPD officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall to check the welfare of a medically distressed UA student at 12:53 a.m. on Sept. 22.

When the officer arrived at the scene, two Arbol de la Vida Residence Hall roommates were sitting on a concrete wall west of Coronado. One of the men showed no signs of alcohol consumption, while the second had red, glassy eyes and seemed to have trouble focusing. He admitted to the officer that he had 1 to 2 shots of vodka while at his friend’s house.

The officer spoke separately with the sober student and asked him if his roommate used recreational drugs, because although he had signs of intoxication, he didn’t smell like alcohol. The roommate admitted that the intoxicated individual had smoked spice earlier that night.

He said that he had been in his room when his intoxicated roommate walked in and claimed he needed some cool air. He was unable to walk around outside safely by himself, so his sober roommate walked with him. The dorm’s community director then saw the two individuals and called UAPD.

The officer told the intoxicated individual that he would advise the Dean of Students regarding the incident and that he would contact him later on. The officer wanted to discuss the student’s use of spice and its negative affects.

Accidental door ding blown out of proportion

A UAPD officer responded to the McKale Center ticket office in reference to a traffic accident at 4:54 p.m. on Sept. 21. When the officer arrived at the scene, he made contact with a 46-year-old non-UA affiliated man who said he accidently “dinged” the front passenger door of another vehicle as he opened his car door about ten minutes earlier. He tried to speak with the driver of the Kia Optima, who was sitting in the driver’s seat talking on the phone, but she refused to talk with him.

The officer approached the woman and asked if she was all right. She explained that the driver of the tan Ford Pickup parked next to her and hit her car door as he exited his vehicle. The woman said she was on the phone with her mother at the time, who said she should get his insurance information. The man waited outside her door to speak with her and the woman stated that she felt threatened by him, as he looked annoyed.

When the officer examined her car, he noticed a paint transfer mark on the passenger door handle that matched the color of the Ford truck. The officer spoke with a nearby witness who said the truck driver had accidently hit the Kia with his car door. The witness said the truck driver patiently waited for the woman to end her phone conversation and and that he didn’t ever appear upset or frustrated by the incident. The truck driver gave his insurance to the woman and left the scene.