Students’ cars damaged on 6th

Tucson Police and firefighters assist an unidentified woman after she crashed into several cars and a lightpost on East Sixth Street yesterday. She was taken by ambulance to University Medical Center.

An unidentified driver hit a parked truck and then crashed into another vehicle before coming to a stop at North Park Avenue and East Sixth Street yesterday.

Tucson Fire Department firefighters placed the female driver in a neck brace at the scene, before she exited her vehicle.

Tucson Police Department officer Carl Miller said he believed the driver may have had a seizure and noted she had a handicap parking permit hanging from her windshield.

The driver was transported to the University Medical Center by a Tucson Fire Department ambulance.

Dallas Wilson, TPD public information officer, said he did not have any additional information on the driver’s condition or the cause of the accidents.

The driver first hit Brad Benites’ truck, which was parked in front of his home near East Sixth Street and North Plumer Avenue.

“”I heard a loud noise, and they crashed into my truck,”” said Benitez, a public administration senior.

Benites said he saw the driver pull into the middle of the street and stop, blocking traffic before proceeding west on Sixth Street.

She hit a street light and drove until crashing into the back of a sport utility vehicle that was stopped at a cross walk, Benites said.

Ivonne Murrieta, owner of the SUV, said the driver then collided with the car in front of her, owned by Alex Glassman, a business management sophomore.

The unidentified driver continued to push Murrieta’s vehicle into Glassman’s before continuing west, said Ashley Santa-Cruz, a microbiology senior who witnessed the accident.

“”You could see her slam into the window,”” said Angie Bowen, a graduate student in animal sciences and witness to the accident.

Glassman said he attempted to follow the woman but was unable to keep up due to traffic and her speed.

“”We didn’t expect her to run because the front of the truck was totally smashed,”” Glassman said.

He and Murrieta were not injured in the collisions and both said their vehicles were only slightly damaged.