ASUA senators vote against decreasing their pay

ASUA voted during their meeting against a pay decrease for themselves for next year despite fear there will be less money in the budget.

Sen. Eduardo Atjian made a motion to reevaluate the stipend amount for next year, and he further requested that the senate wait to vote on setting the stipend until they know how much money will be available in the budget.

The funds set aside for the stipend account are used to pay the senators for their time spent serving the students. Last year the stipend was set at $1,400.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona senators debated over whether to push the vote back a week to allow time for the senate budget to be finalized, but University of Arizona Police Department Officer and honorary Sen. Brian Seastone argued it was better to vote immediately.

“”You can’t stop everything because of what the future might hold,”” Seastone said. “”We’ve got to move on based on the best information we’ve got.””

Sen. Daniel Wallace agreed the senate should vote this week because nobody knew when the senate budget would be set or how much money would be available for the stipend.

“”We might have concrete numbers next week; we might not have concrete numbers,”” Wallace said. 

Sen. Ryan Ruiz was also opposed to voting this week, but was overruled along with Atjian. The senate ruled to keep the stipend amount set at $1,400.

“”It’s a fair amount,”” Atjian said.

Atjian said his role as a senator is a demanding, full-time job and that he was making more money at his previous part-time job.

“”I would love to increase (the stipend), but with the budget, it’s just not possible,”” he said.

Atjian said he was not upset with the ruling, but would have preferred to wait until he knew the official numbers of the budget.

The Community Development Director Aysha Fuller, a marketing junior, presented a summary on her current and future projects, namely the Youth Basketball and Cheer League, and the annual Spring Fling letter project.

The Youth Basketball and Cheer League is a non-profit program designed to promote higher education, sportsmanship and teamwork, according to Fuller. The program was created nearly 15 years ago for economically-challenged children in Tucson.

“”The reason we have this is for kids who cannot afford to be on a league team,”” Fuller said. “”Anyone can sign up.””

The basketball teams consist of co-ed groups of children between the ages of 8 and 13.

Fuller said the basketball teams are made up of mostly boys, but they occasionally have girls who are brave enough to play with the boys. She also said the cheer squads are made up of mostly girls.

The league will wrap up after the championship competition, which will take place in the Bear Down Gym this Saturday and Sunday. Fuller said she managed to secure several sponsors and donations for the event including ZonaZoo, Jimmy John’s and Golf-N-Stuff.

The competition will be comprised of six basketball games, a jump competition and cheer performances. The children will receive free T-shirts and trophies.

Fuller is also in charge of the annual Spring Fling letter project in which nearby primary schools are asked to decorate a letter from the phrase, “”Spring Fling.”” The letters will be on display during this year’s Spring Fling event in April.

Fuller said some schools decorate their letters in their school colors, while others choose a popular theme from their class as inspiration.

Administrative Vice President Gabby Ziccarelli announced a Breast Party, which will take place tonight from 6 to 9, and is hosted by the Women’s Resource Center.

The event is to raise awareness about breast cancer. Throughout the event, women can make a mold of their breast and once the molding material dries the women are encouraged to decorate their molds. The molds will be on display at the Women’s resource center. 

Lastly, there will be a spring break safety fair today from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the UA Mall and a ‘Hot Dogs for Haiti/Chili Dogs for Chile’ event at the Sigma Chi fraternity at First Street and Vine Avenue from 11 p,m, to 3 a,m, to raise funds for disaster relief.