Allegro brings natural taste of Italy to Tucson

A new gelateria has set up shop in Tucson, bringing an authentic taste of Italy to town. While Frost is known for its many flavors and extravagance, Allegro: Il Gelato Naturale takes the cake — or should I say gelato — with its simple, rich flavors. After spending five weeks of my summer in Italy eating gelato at least once daily, I’ve come to know the good from the bad. Allegro is a genuine taste of Italy in the Sonoran desert.

Located within walking distance of campus at Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue, next to Grimaldi’s Pizzeria , the close proximity to school makes this place dangerously delicious. Once you’ve had a bite of the rich gelatos or fresh sorbets, you’ll hardly be able to contain yourself. Made with all-natural ingredients in shop, these frozen treats are absolutely magnificent. From the coffee gelato made with fresh espresso, to the melon sorbet that tastes like a bite of honeydew, you simply cannot go wrong. Everything is made with care and passion that comes through in each bite.

Allegro also offers espresso drinks and granita, a slushed ice beverage. This place is the epitome of authenticity. The fun, spinning display case is right out of Italy — quite literally: it’s a design seen all over the country. The space is sleek and hip. It’s a perfect spot for a first date or just a great place to relax and chat with friends.

The Italian-born owner is excited to have opened doors right next door to the university. His passion for gelato shines through his creations. On my first visit he offered up a sage and lemon gelato he’d simply been inspired to create the night before. He allowed my group and myself to sample every flavor and even gave us a hefty serving of granita to share. The no-frills approach to serving gelato is a refreshing change. It’s all about the gelato at Allegro, and when it comes to such a great dessert, that’s how it should be.