Police Beat 1/9/2019: Teeth and Creeps

Courtesy UAPD

University of Arizona Police Department officers on the UA campus. 

Achy Breaky Tooth

A hangover is to be expected after a night of drinking, but one UA student ended up with something a bit more serious: missing teeth. 

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was driving along Mountain Avenue on Dec. 13 at approximately 1 a.m. He was near the Pi Beta Phi sorority house when he saw the student fall face first onto the ground.

The officer noted in the police report that the student was unaccepting of his assistance, repeatedly saying she was fine.

On the student’s face, running from nose to chin, was a large scrape. The student repeatedly told the officer that she had knocked out her front teeth, and the officer noted broken teeth on the ground.

He told her that medics from the Tucson Fire Department were en route. 

The officer had her sit on the curb, as she reportedly appeared deeply intoxicated. She spoke with slurred speech, though the officer noted that he was not certain if this was due to her intoxicated state or her missing teeth.

RELATED: Police Beat 12/5/2018: Crimes, Signs and Bad Times

According to the officer, the student exhibited mood swings, sometimes cooperating and sometimes reacting with hostility. 

When he asked the student for identification, she took all the items out of her purse, including what appeared to be a California driver’s license. When the officer inspected it, she tried to take it back and confessed it was a fake ID.

The card displayed a date of birth that would indicate her age as 21. In reality, the student was only 20 years old.

Medics arrived and assessed the student’s condition. She protested, saying she was fine, and attempted to walk away — however, she fell once more.

The medics decided to take her to the hospital for additional testing, possibly for head injuries. 

The officer was unable to officially interview the student, reportedly due to her uncooperative behavior and unwillingness to talk. However, the student did speak briefly with the medics, saying she had been drinking, though she did not know how much she’d had.

The officer cited and released the student on charges of Minor in Possession in Body and Possession of a Fictitious ID.

Green Light Go, Blue Light Stop

A female UA student’s morning walk to Starbucks became less about java and more about jeopardy after a man began to follow her on Dec. 12. 

According to the police report, the student was on the way to the Starbucks on University Boulevard when she noticed a man walking behind her on Fourth Avenue. 

While it initially appeared to be just a coincidence, the student reported she knew something was amiss when this man, whom she did not know previously, said “hi” to her. He continued to follow her as she made her way to Starbucks.

When the student reached her destination and entered the Starbucks, the man stayed outside. After a while, he came inside, approached the student and asked for her phone number. The student refused to give it to him.

The man went back outside but did not leave. Instead, he stood outside the Starbucks and stared at the student through a store window.

The manager of the Starbucks noticed the man’s behavior and asked him if he was okay. The man did not respond to the inquiry and walked away.

After the man appeared to leave, the student left the Starbucks and began to walk towards the UA campus. It was then that the man once again followed he as she walked. 

Ahead of her, the student noticed a Blue Light Emergency Phone, which she used to call UAPD. 

RELATED: Police Beat 11/28/2018: Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

According to the student, the man then quickly turned around and walked away.

However, the student reported that she again saw the man, this time standing in the Women’s Plaza of Honor across the street. He eventually left campus, walking west along University Boulevard.

At approximately 8:15 a.m., a UAPD officer arrived in response to the call and spoke with the student, taking her statement.

While the two were talking, another UAPD officer made contact with someone who matched the student’s description of the man on the corner of University Boulevard and Fourth Avenue.

The corporal ran the man’s name through dispatch and found out that he had been issued an Exclusionary Order from campus in the past due to his history of propositioning women for sex.

According to the report, at the time of the incident with the student, the man was in a program to treat this type of behavior. 

After the student positively identified the man as the same one who had been following her, the officer gave her a ride to her home.

The officer then returned to the man and issued a 12-month Exclusionary Order.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter