‘Strength of UA traditions’ reunites Wildcats

Homecoming is a time for University of Arizona alumni to come back and visit their alma mater. For brothers Ian and Connor Barton, Homecoming is an opportunity to reunite.

Ian Barton, a recent UA grad who is currently pursuing a master’s degree at the University of Notre Dame, is coming back to Tucson to enjoy UA Homecoming with old friends. 

“The main inspiration for people coming back is to catch up with people that they haven’t seen in a while, and for me, that’s the main reason for coming down,” Ian said. “You hang out with them so long, and it all ends really suddenly, and you don’t realize till after college is over.”

RELATED: Advertising pays: A Wildcat love story

Despite only being away from the UA for a short amount of time, Ian Barton said he misses the Arizona heat and all the good Mexican food Tucson has to offer.

“People like to bag on Tucson and say that it gets boring after a while, but Tucson is a really good place,” Ian said. “Once you leave Tucson you see what a special community it is and there is always something fun to do.”

Not only does Ian Barton get the chance to reconnect with friends and eat authentic Mexican food, he is able to visit family. His younger brother and UA freshman, Connor Barton, said he is excited to be able to see his brother and spend quality time together. 

“It means a lot to see him because I haven’t seen him in a while. It’s going to be good to reconnect,” Connor said. 

Since both brothers have Wildcat spirit in their veins, they are able to bond over their time spent at the UA.

“It’s amazing to be able to give him advice and actually say it without hesitation because I’ve been there before,” Ian said. “It’s nice being a good resource for him.”

Connor also enjoys being able to go to his brother for any UA-related issue.

“Ian and I have similar degrees, and it’s good to have somebody to go to for advice,” Connor said. “He also knew a lot of people here, so it’s nice to have those connections.”

RELATED: A look at the man directing ‘Inishmaan’

Connor said he is excited to be able to share his first UA Homecoming experience with his brother. 

“I’m happy I’m going to be able to share this with him. It’s going to be a lot of fun,” Connor said. 

When it comes to Homecoming, Ian associates it with the UA tradition.

“When I was at the UA the main thing I was excited about was the lighting of ‘A’ Mountain, the parade and all those things like that,” Ian said.

Ian even got to plan the lighting of “A” Mountain one year when he was a part of the Student Alumni Ambassadors.

“It was a really awesome experience. It lets you know about the traditions at the UA and the strength those traditions have,” Ian said.  

As for Homecoming plans, Connor is excited to attend the tailgate and watch the UA football team take on Oregon with his brother.

“We are just going to go to the tailgate and catch up. Then we will go watch the football game,” Connor said. 

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter