UA Cross Country men finish second, women finish third

Courtesy of Arizona Athletics

The Arizona men’s and women’s cross-country teams ran their first meets of the season as they competed in the George Kyte Classic in Flagstaff on Saturday.

The men’s team took second place in the 4.5 mile race as the women took third in the 2.6 mile race.

Arizona head coach James Li has been stressing how this meet was the first for many of the runners. He wanted the runners to simply run and record times so he can start to put together which runners will do what events.

“I thought it was a good meet for us,” Li said. “We thought that this was a good way to see where we are. Addi Zerrenner was able to finish in second and beat some pretty good people, so that was good to see.”

Zerrenner, a freshman, showed a great amount of talent by finishing second overall. Zerrenner ran in the 2.6 mile run and finished with a time of 15:11.9. Kate Penney finished behind Zerrenner in the top 10, clocking 15:38.2 and finishing in seventh place.

There were three top-10 finishers on the men’s side. Freshman Seamus White finished sixth overall in the 4.5 mile race with a time of 23:24.1. Behind him was junior Matthew Beer and redshirt sophomore Patrick Leary. Beer finished ninth overall with a time of 23:36.9, while Leary ran a 23:42.9 to round out the top 10.

Alex Hart, Jonas Legernes and Brendan Tinoco all placed in the 4.5 mile race. Hart finished in 26th by running a 24:13.9, Legernes ran a time of 24:21.7 to place 28th and Tinoco finished in 38th place with a time of 24:57.3.

Other notable finishes on the women’s side were Kayla Ferron, who ran a time of 15:58.0 to finish in 15th place in the 2.6 mile race, and McKenna Gaffney, who finished with a time of 16:26.1 to finish 18th. Taryn Estavillo finished in 20th place with a time of 16:31.8 and Margie Moyer placed 52nd with a time of 18:21.7.

The Wildcats next meet will be at home on Friday, Sept. 18, as they host the Dave Murray Invitational.

Follow Hunter McAdams on Twitter.