Tucson Women’s March paints the streets blue for awareness in upcoming election

Ben Tisdale

A protestor holds a sign at the Women’s Wave on Saturday, Oct. 8. The protest took place on the street near 5000 E Broadway Blvd.

Tucson Women’s March painted Broadway blue as they took part in nationwide protests for reproductive health. 

On Oct. 8 at 10 a.m., citizens of the surrounding Tucson area gathered along Broadway Street blue for reproductive rights. 

Events were held in Tucson, Flagstaff and Phoenix, sponsored by Women’s March, Ultraviolet and MoveOn. Tucson protests formed down Broadway’s intersections from Houghton Road to Euclid Avenue, then onto Congress Street from Fourth Avenue to Interstate 10. 

Attendees wore blue to symbolize “Painting Broadway Blue” and held signs in support of the pro-choice movement. The protesters wanted to show a united, unavoidable front for anyone driving through Tucson Saturday morning. 

Amy Fitch-Heacock, co-founder and communications director of Tucson Women’s March, was one of the main organizers of the event. 

“The goal of today’s Paint Broadway Blue Event was to give Tucson a way to unite in their support for abortion, engage with candidates who are running for office in their respective districts and connect with community volunteer opportunities in the final weeks before the November election,” Fitch-Heacock said.

Protestors varied from citizens of the city to commuters from surrounding areas, all aiming for their voices to be heard. Like-minded advocates from different age groups joined together to fight for the same cause. 

Current UA students Delaney Sanders and Simon Field stated their main motivator for being at the protest was the protection of rights. 

“I am hoping to raise awareness in order to get people voting in the right direction,” Field said. 

Another supporter, Sanda Allen, said, “I am here for my six children. I don’t want them to lose what we fought for.” 

Carrying a “Bodily autonomy is a human right” sign, Heather Cossette said, “We are moving backward in human rights, and its evolutionary doesn’t make sense.” 

Ashlyn Russell was a bystander waiting to cross one of the intersections and was asked to share her pro-life point of view. 

When asked about her thoughts on the protest, Russell said, “I respect what they are doing here, but I want to protect the most vulnerable and those without a voice.” 

While a few cars driving by expressed their opposition to the protest, many people expressed their support and gratitude for this movement leading into the upcoming November midterms.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter