Police Beat

Minor in possession

While patrolling behind the 7-11 at Speedway and Alvernon last Thursday, an officer observed a male student coming out from behind two dumpsters. The officer approached the student and noticed he had red, watery eyes and slurred speech. The student admitted that he had had “”two beers”” at a friend’s house and that he was only 20 years old, but that his birthday was on Sunday. He said he was using the bathroom behind the dumpsters because the 7-11 would not let him use theirs. The student was cited for minor in possession of alcohol and released.

Pedestrian accident

A woman struck a male pedestrian while making a left turn from First Street onto Mountain Avenue. Two witnesses said the man was in the crosswalk when the woman began to turn. The woman’s windshield was cracked, and the man suffered head and elbow injuries and was transported to UMC. The woman was cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian and released.

Domestic dispute

At 10:20 a.m. police were flagged down by a female motorist who stated she had been assaulted by her boyfriend. She refused medical treatment and said her boyfriend was walking westbound on 15th street with a knife. TPD arrived and took over the case.

Marijuana discovered

Police responded to a report of the smell of marijuana coming from Yavapai Residence Hall at 4:41 p.m. last Thursday. As the officers approached the room they noted the smell of fresh marijuana. When officers knocked, a student opened the door. The officer asked if he could enter the room and the student replied “”Yeah, come on in.”” There were three other males sitting on a bed. The officer informed them that he was investing a report on the smell of marijuana coming from the room, then asked the students to give up the marijuana. The students produced a rolled joint and two baggies of marijuana rolled in several scented dryer sheets. When asked about the dryer sheets, the student stated “”They’re to hide the smell, but I guess that didn’t work too well.”” The student said that the markings on the baggies marked the marijuana as prescription, but the officer reminded him that all marijuana is illegal in Arizona, prescription or not. The student was cited and released to the Dean of Students. The marijuana was weighed at 62.3 grams and placed into evidence.

Lost and found

A key ring was found with a black Ford car key, a black key fob and a Fry’s VIP Club Card. The key ring was placed into evidence.