Arizona WBB handles business against rival ASU

Nathanial Stenchever

Kailyn Gilbert, a guard on the Arizona women’s basketball team, is named player of the game and awarded the honor of beating the drum for the number of wins up to that point. The Wildcats had earned two wins to this point in the season on Nov. 13 in McKale Center. The Wildcats won their second game 87-47.

Arizona women’s basketball team beat rival ASU 80-67 in Tempe on Sunday, Jan. 22.

The Wildcats’ Jade Loville scored the game’s first points against her former team 21 seconds in. Esmery Martinez followed with an excellent layup making the score 4-0 before two minutes had passed. In the first quarter, the Wildcats had seven points off the bench and 12 points in the paint. Martinez lead the attack with six points for Arizona. The Wildcats had a 4-point lead as they entered the second quarter 20-16.

In the second quarter, Arizona put up 23 points on the Sun Devils. The Sun Devils had three points off the bench and four points in the paint. In comparison, the Wildcats had 13 points off the bench and four points in the paint. Arizona demonstrated potent offense with Madison Conner and Kailyn Gilbert leading the second quarter with five points apiece. At the half, the score was 43-31 in favor of the Wildcats.

In the third quarter, the Wildcats averaged 37% from beyond the three-point line and Conner went 2-2 in Arizona’s only free throws of the quarter. Loville made her presence known, putting up six points. Arizona put up nine points off the bench and eight from the paint. ASU had zero points off the bench and nine points from the paint.

Shaina Pellington made sure to finish off the Sun Devils by sinking six points on them in the final quarter. Following her were Conner, who scored five points, Gilbert with three, and Martinez and Maya Nnaji with two points each. Arizona’s bench put 10 points on the board and had six points from the paint in the final quarter.

Arizona finished the game 80-67. ASU has lost eight games in a row.

Martinez had her fifth double-double of the season, Loville sank three 3-pointers and Conner went 4 for 4 with free throws in the rivalry game against ASU.

The Wildcats will be back home playing the University of Washington on Friday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. in McKale Center.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter