March Madness 101: The Daily Wildcat’s guide to the NCAA tourney

Arizona forwards A.J. Bramlett, left, and Eugene Edgerson go after a loose ball in the 1997 National Championship against Kentucky in Indianapolis. Arizona defeated three No. 1 seeds in the 1997 NCAA Tournament, including Kentucky.

As the Arizona Wildcats get ready to engage in what is affectionately known as March Madness, we thought it would be important for everyone to know what that means. In this NCAA Tournament 101 profile, we take a look at the many different aspects to March Madness in four different segments.

The first segment is an introduction into the ins and outs of the NCAA tournament, as well as some insight into the 68-team field; what it consists of, how teams can make it to the big dance and some of the grading criteria used to evaluate each team are all a part of the beginner’s guide to March.

In the second installment, we look at what the experts call the “Bubble”. The teams that border on the fringe of getting into the tournament or the teams that get their bubble popped on selection day are all apart of what makes this time of year great.

The third part is about the vital seeding system and how it will be used to determine what teams go where. It is the single most important part of the tournament, especially this year with Arizona looking at anywhere from a No. 1 seed to a No. 4 seed.

The final part puts a bow on the entire series. Don’t know where to start? We got you covered. Whether you are a casual fan, die-hard fan or no fan at all, picking teams in a tournament can be just a fun way for you to intermingle with friends, family or colleagues. 

Take a look at all the segments and keep an eye out for the Daily Wildcat bracket challenge coming soon.

Follow Saul Bookman and Danielle Fork on Twitter.