Americans too quick to play the race card against Republicans

How tolerant can the Republicans be when they are repeatedly called racists? It’s safe to say that we have made great strides in eradicating racism throughout our history. Of course, there will always be white supremacist groups, neo-Nazis and those that hate, but as a whole, this nation is an accepting one. We have diligently worked to overcome the stereotypical ideologies that have limited us in the past.

One doesn’t have to look that far back to see we were living in a different time just four or five decades ago. Because we have come so far, one would think, and hope, that the days of playing the race card are over. Sadly, that is not the case. Although race should not impact anything that occurs in the political arena, the issue of race still comes up. There are those who will go to great lengths to play on someone’s guilt for living in a society that once tolerated racism.

Recently, Janeane Garofalo, a stand-up comedian and actress, accused others of discrimination and intolerance. During an interview with Keith Olbermann, Garofalo came out and accused those who support Republican Presidential Candidate Herman Cain of being racist.

Specifically, Garofalo said, “Herman Cain is probably well-liked by some of the Republicans because it hides the racist elements of the Republican Party, the conservative movement and Tea Party movement — one in the same. People like Karl Rove liked to keep the racism very covert. And so Herman Cain provides this great opportunity so that you can say ‘Look, this is not a racist, anti-immigrant, anti-female, anti-gay movement. Look, we have a black man.’”

People like Garofalo play the blame game. They have to criticize conservatives somehow and Garofalo has found a way to do that by labeling the GOP as prejudice bigots. Anyone that pays even a bit of attention knows that there have been, and continue to be, top leaders coming from the Republican Party who are black. In recent times, Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and Chairman of the Republican National Committee Michael Steele, all black, have represented the Republican Party.

For Garofalo to pick on Herman Cain to gain attention is ridiculous. If anybody has listened to Herman Cain, he is arguably one of the most intelligent nominees running for the GOP presidential nominee seat. He is one of the few candidates that provide solutions to problems without even mentioning or thinking about racial motivation. If Cain suspected racism in the GOP, he would be the first to address it.

The people making these comments don’t necessarily care how ignorant they sound. They will do anything to have their voices heard.

Our society has no room for racist comments and the people of this country continue to prove that every day.

—Joshua Segall is a management information systems senior. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.