Songs that will keep you awake (or put you to sleep) on road trips

Time flies. The holiday season is near. Traveling to and from Tucson is upon us. So to help you out, the

Arizona Daily Wildcat is looking out for you and your driving habits.

From random to recent, we’ve compiled an assortment of musical adrenaline that can help keep you awake while driving on the highway. Whether you’re passing through the Outlet stores in Casa Grande, Ariz. or pacing yourself through Picacho Peak, driving on the Interstate-10 stretch between Tucson and Phoenix warrants your undivided attention. And to narrow it down for you, since the end of the decade is near, we’ll choose songs from 2000-2009.

“”XR2″” by M.I.A. (Kala): High energy ’80s-style hip-hop electronica alongside a murky bass line makes this a keeper to tear out of the Phoenix metro area.

“”Trust a Try”” by Janet Jackson (All For You): This song may have to be turned down because of the high energy guitar riffs throughout. No kidding, this song makes you have to consciously ease off the gas pedal.

• “”Top Back”” by T.I. (King): Turn your bass and volume all the way up on this one. The bass will thump through your heart while scaring off other drivers around you. Hey, you’ve got places to go and people to see.

“”Bombs over Baghdad”” by Outkast (Stankonia): Quick-paced and amusing. The challenge is to try to rap along, keeping up with the cadence of Andre 3000 and Big Boi. That in itself is enough to keep you awake.

“”So Ambitious”” by Jay-Z feat. Pharrell (The Blueprint 3): While not as fast-paced, this mid-tempo melody is engaging enough to make you say “”Hey”” along with Pharrell. Good for nighttime driving into the city.

“”Good Life”” by Kanye West feat. T-Pain (Graduation): ‘Cause if they hate, then let them hate and watch the speedometer rise up.

“”Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin'”” by Michael Jackson (Thriller): Come on. You can’t deny the energy in the song — especially when you get to the “”Ma ma se, ma ma sa, ma ma cum sa”” part.

“”Paralyzer”” by Finger Eleven (Them vs. You vs. Me): Enjoyable chorus, appealing lyrical content, and fantastic musical arrangement. Add to long drive playlist? Check.

“”Imma Be”” by Black Eyed Peas (The E.N.D.): The energy will never die as long as you play this bumping bass-filled track.

“”Fly Away”” by Lenny Kravitz (Lenny Kravitz: Greatest Hits): Technically, since the greatest hits album came out in 2000, this song makes the cut for our list. Highly recommended song for the road. Just don’t fly too fast past the photo enforcement cameras.

Songs you shouldn’t play on the highway:

“”Successful”” by Drake featuring Lil Wayne and Trey Songz (So Far Gone): Drake’s smooth, introspective cut is a good offering; head-nod inducing. But you just might head-nod yourself to sleep.

“”Hung Up”” by Madonna (Confessions on A Dance Floor): Sure, she’s a living legend. But despite the swirly, up-tempo disco vibe, the song becomes background noise.

“”A Lack of Color”” by Death Cab for Cutie (Transatlanticism): A sweet lullaby? Yes.

“”Smack That”” by Akon feat. Eminem (Konvicted): Kudos to the catchy chorus. But the song’s popularity may induce boredom, causing you to tune out while driving.

“”Apologize”” by Timbaland featuring OneRepublic (Shock Value): Sorry, but this one’s an eyelid-drooper.

“”Unpredictable”” by Jamie Foxx feat. Ludacris (Unpredictable): Sexy song. But does sexy keep you awake? Hmmm, well …

“”Sunday Morning”” by Maroon 5 (Songs About Jane): Our goal is to get you to where you have to go so you can wake up to see the next morning.

“”Come Away With Me”” by Norah Jones (Come Away With Me): This is a really good song with silky, haunting vocals. But it’s too chill for the long road ahead.

“”Telephone”” by Erykah Badu (New Amerykah, Part 1, 4th World Wonder): Love Ms. Badu. Her charismatic voice alone should keep anyone awake. But this seven-minute song doesn’t do it.

“”Can You Believe”” by Robin Thicke (The Evolution of Robin Thicke): Love Mr. Thicke, too. His smooth, mellifluous voice on this lovely song however, will make you yearn for coffee.