Drive, bike or ride: UA transportation guide

An eastbound Sun Link tram is stopped at the Main Gate Square station on University Boulevard on Friday, July 20, 2018.

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

Parking: If you own a car, the first thing that you are going to want to do is go to the University of Arizona’s Parking and Transportation website and click on the button that says “More Info Parking Permit Registration.” 

Parking permit semester rates for a Lot Specific Permit cost $581; for Park ‘n’ Ride Lots (not including the North Tucson Parking Ride Lot) the cost is $100; for the North Tucson Park & Ride Lot the cost is $250; for zone parking south of Sixth Street, Zone 1 or Street Specific parking, the cost $457; Garage permits at one of the UA’s eight lots cost $692.  

Biking routes near campus: If you are looking to ride your bike to campus, the City of Tucson designates four separate bike routes on streets leading into campus as bike-friendly “bike boulevards.” They are Mountain Avenue heading north, Highland Avenue heading south, Third Street going east and University Boulevard going west. Each route connects to the UA’s system of bike and walking paths. Two additional underpasses leading beneath Speedway Boulevard allow for campus and neighborhood access.

You can also ride your bike for leisure on campus streets and the neighborhoods near Banner University Medical Center.

Public Transportation: Sun Tran is the local public bus system that serves Tucson and its nearby suburbs. Sun Tran U-Passes can be purchased from the University of Arizona’s Parking and Transportation website or in-person at the Parking and Transportation office located on Sixth Street.  Student discount prices of $96 per semester; Semester Express for $128; Annual Pass (for both fall and spring semesters) for $240; and Annual Express for $304. According to the Sun Tran website, “UA students, faculty and staff can purchase SunGo products, valid on streetcar, Sun Tran, Sun Express and select Sun Shuttle routes.” 

Additionally, the UA offers its own shuttle service, the CatTran. With three off-campus routes serving the neighborhoods surrounding campus, and three additional on-campus routes to shuttle students from class-to-class, the CatTran is a safe, quick way to meet your transportation needs. Free for transportation on-campus, some routes (including the Orange and Red routes) require a permit or boarding pass. For more information, visit the CatTran website.

Follow Jon Rice on Twitter