Police Beat: Sept. 1

Coke bust on campus

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on bike patrol on Aug. 31 at 10:33 a.m. when he saw a Coca Cola vending machine door open.

When he went closer to the door, he saw that it had been forced off of the hinges, the inside door had been removed and the machine was unplugged.

The hinges were bent and two bolts were lying under the open door.

A Coca Cola representative responded to inspect the damage and said $232 worth of products were missing along with $76 in cash and coin and the cost to repair the machine would be about $200.

Drunk-boarding is never a great idea

A UAPD officer stopped two men for doing skateboard tricks at Bear Down Gym on Aug. 31 at 11:40 p.m.

After talking with the men, the officer smelled intoxicants.

The officer asked one of the men, a UA student, if he had been drinking and the man replied that he hadn’t been.

However, when the officer was about to administer a preliminary breath test, the man admitted he had a little vodka earlier and the breath test confirmed he had been drinking.

The other man, a Pima Community College student, also said he had been drinking and a breath test confirmed this.

Both men were cited and released.

The UA student was referred to the Dean of Students Office on charges of a Code of Conduct violation.

A few shots too many

A UAPD officer responded to the area in front of Coronado Residence Hall on a medical assist call.

The officer met with the resident assistant, who said a man sitting on a nearby bench had vomited five times and looked like he had been drinking.

When the officer approached the man, who looked slumped over like he was going to fall asleep, the officer had him sit up and asked if he was OK.

The man replied that he was feeling better and the officer noticed his pupils were dilated, there was a strong smell of intoxicants, he had red blood shot eyes, he had vomited and he had slurred speech.

The man said he had about eight shots of vodka at an apartment off campus.

Tucson Fire Department evaluated the man and said he was being taken to University Medical Center to replenish fluids through an IV.

The man was cited, released and taken to UMC in an ambulance.

Impaired judgment in Hopi Lodge

A UAPD officer responded to a medical assist call for an 18-year-old man at Hopi Lodge on Aug. 30 at 2:10 a.m.

TFD was already there when the officer heard the man telling them he had been drinking.

The officer saw that the man had bloodshot, watery eyes and noticed that his speech was slurred and he smelled of intoxicants.

The man said he only had a 40-ounce and when asked if he was feeling OK, said felt great and wasn’t drunk.

However, when the man stood he swayed and almost fell down.

TFD said the man would be taken to UMC to replenish fluids through an IV.

The man was cited and released on charges of underage drinking and taken to UMC.

That Keystone Light does it every time

A UAPD officer responded to a woman asking for medical attention because she had been vomiting at Coronado on Aug. 30 at 4:05 a.m.

The officer could smell a moderate odor of intoxicants coming from the woman when she spoke.

She said she had been throwing up for an hour and a half after drinking three quarters of a water bottle full of straight vodka and a Keystone Light.

The woman was cited on charges of underage drinking and released before being taken to UMC.

Don’t drink and bike

A UAPD officer responded to a collision between a bike and a vehicle at the intersection of Highland Avenue and Fourth Street.

The vehicle and bicycle had moved to a safe area when the officer arrived.

The vehicle driver said he came to a complete stop before making a right turn onto Fourth Street to let pedestrians cross the road when he felt something hit the back of his vehicle and it turned out to be a bicycle.

The cyclist said he rode up behind the vehicle while drinking coffee.

He said he took a drink and couldn’t see the vehicle. When he looked up the vehicle had stopped and he ran into the rear of the car.

The vehicle damage was minor and the bicycle had damage to the front.

Photographs were taken and put into evidence and the cyclist was cited.

No injuries were reported. TFD responded and left the scene without treating anyone.