NCAA takeaways week six

Ron Jenkins
Oklahoma’s Nick Basquine (83) celebrates with teammates Arthur McGinnis (50) and Najee Bissoon (20) following the Red River Showdown at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016. Oklahoma defeated Texas, 45-40. (Ron Jenkins/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Though not as many teams were upset as last week, the College Football Playoff picture is finally starting to become clear.

There are no miracles in Aggie Land

The Tennessee Volunteers have engineered ways to overcome large deficits and win week after week. In Saturday’s game against Texas A&M, this trend continued.

The Vols fell behind early, 28-7. They were able to storm back by scoring 21 points in the fourth and were able to force the game to overtime thanks to some late mistakes by the Aggies.

The Vols ran out of luck in OT, though, as quarterback Joshua Dobbs threw a game-ending interception in the second overtime.

Related: NCAA week 4 takeaways

Down go the Cougars

Riding the momentum from last year’s victory in the Peach bowl, along with a win over Oklahoma on opening weekend, the Houston Cougars had a great chance at making this year’s playoff.

Their playoff hopes were crushed, however, when the Cougars fell to Navy 46-40 in a game that ultimately ends their Cinderella run.

Quarterback Greg Ward did all he could, throwing for 359 yards and four total touchdowns on the day. It was his costly pick six that was the difference in the game that likely ensures no non-Power 5 Conference team will get into this year’s playoff. 

Related: NCAA week 5 takeaways

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out, Mr. Strong

The Texas Longhorns lost again. This time to Oklahoma in the Red River Rivalry by a score of 45-40, putting their record at 2-3 and 0-2 in the Big 12 Conference.

Charlie Strong was a questionable hire at a program with such pedigree as Texas football, and in the three years he has been at the university, the Longhorns have grown out of shouting distance from what the program once was.

With only one winning season, an inability to consistently win and a good pool of young, talented head coaches, such as Houston’s Tom Herman, don’t be surprised if the Longhorns decide to cut ties with Strong at the end of this year.

Follow Noah Sonnet on Twitter.